The Scriptures dowload: OK for members?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
EDDIEDOW
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Show Low Arizona Stake, Lone Pine Ward

The Scriptures dowload: OK for members?

Postby EDDIEDOW » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I am the Assistant Stake Clerk for Membership and also Technology. I did a search on this forum and found nothing, talked to Church HQ support and they couldn't tell me, either. Several people in our Stake have asked about this and I can't find an answer, so here goes:
On the list of software downloads from the Church, at mls.lds.org, is "The Scriptures". Can this download be used by individual members on their personal computers, or is it solely for use on Stake and Ward machines?
Any citations of instructions, etc. would be helpful.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 pm

E&LDow wrote:I am the Assistant Stake Clerk for Membership and also Technology. I did a search on this forum and found nothing, talked to Church HQ support and they couldn't tell me, either. Several people in our Stake have asked about this and I can't find an answer, so here goes:
On the list of software downloads from the Church, at mls.lds.org, is "The Scriptures". Can this download be used by individual members on their personal computers, or is it solely for use on Stake and Ward machines?
Any citations of instructions, etc. would be helpful.

I'm taking a guess here, but I'm guessing it's not intended for personal use. Everything at mls.lds.org is there in order to support the administrative machines found in the meetinghouses. If the software you are talking about is the same one I'm thinking about, I believe the software can be purchased from Distribution Services at a very reasonable fee (less than $10).
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 pm

mkmurray wrote:If the software you are talking about is the same one I'm thinking about, I believe the software can be purchased from Distribution Services at a very reasonable fee (less than $10).

$6 found here: http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=40339
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

I've never seen any indication that the program is free or that it can be distributed freely to members.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:42 pm

mkmurray wrote:I'm taking a guess here, but I'm guessing it's not intended for personal use. Everything at mls.lds.org is there in order to support the administrative machines found in the meetinghouses.


To confirm that, the Additional Local Unit Software page on mls.lds.org says by "The Scriptures" the following note:
(428MB) Online scriptures for the local unit computer.
That seems to be pretty clear that this is only for the local unit computer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6144
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 pm

E&LDow wrote:On the list of software downloads from the Church, at mls.lds.org, is "The Scriptures". Can this download be used by individual members on their personal computers, or is it solely for use on Stake and Ward machines?
Any citations of instructions, etc. would be helpful.


Alan has cited the best (and I think only remaining) quote. When the software came on a CD in the early days of MLS, there were printed instructions that it was only to be loaded on Church computers, and that members who wished to use it should order a CD from the Distribution Center.

Back then it was only $5, though. Wow. Look what inflation has done over the years. [grin]

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dundee, Oregon

Postby rmrichesjr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:05 pm



That link doesn't work for me on Firefox 3.6.8. It brings up an error page.

The productId field appears to be the same as this URL:

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&productId=40339

One nice thing about this product is it works on Linux using Wine. I'm a volunteer maintainer of the Wine Application DataBase page for it:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7175


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest