LDS Temples - New App for Android

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
jeffmartin

LDS Temples - New App for Android

Post by jeffmartin »

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd let the community know that I recently developed an application for the Android Mobile OS called "LDS Temples".

Basically this app is to help you track your temple attendance, find the temple nearest you, etc.

The application is still under development, so your suggestions and feedback are more thank welcome.

Thanks!
brado426

Post by brado426 »

I just installed that app. Very nice job, jmartin!!! Love it!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmartin127 wrote:find the temple nearest you, etc.
I'm a little curioius on how it defines "nearest". Nearest "as the crow flies" isn't always the quickest one to get to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffmartin

Post by jeffmartin »

Hi Russell,

Currently "nearest" is defined by "as the crow flies" using the latitude and longitude coordinates to calculate the distance of each temple from your current location. I agree that it would be better to instead calculate the distance by car. I'll take a look and see if I can do this.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmartin127 wrote:I agree that it would be better to instead calculate the distance by car. I'll take a look and see if I can do this.
If there's a way to work with the Maps app, you might be able to calculate it by Bus as well. That would be nice when you're in a strange city without a car.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffmartin

Post by jeffmartin »

RussellHltn wrote:If there's a way to work with the Maps app, you might be able to calculate it by Bus as well. That would be nice when you're in a strange city without a car.
That's a great idea Russell. I'm already integrated with the Google Maps API for displaying the location of the temple. I just need to take the next step to determine the distances and give directions. Thanks again.
jeffmartin

New features added

Post by jeffmartin »

Russell, just thought I'd let you know that I integrated the "directions" feature from Google's API into the LDS Temples app, so you can now get directions to temples by car, taxi, bus, or walking. Thanks again for your suggestion.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Excellent. I played with the app just a bit. One thing I noticed is that it only seems to be able to find my location via GPS. It doesn't seem to be able to use the "rough" estimate that maps initially uses (probably the cell tower).

That means I have to turn on my GPS and have a lock (which may mean I have to go outside in the clear) before I can use that feature.

greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I posted a comment on the Market, but it appears to crash the application when changing orientation (vertical to horizontal and vice-versa) on the attendance recording screen.
jeffmartin

Post by jeffmartin »

You are right about the force close when changing orientation. That is now fixed.

Return to “Links & Resources”