YSA Photo Directory

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Yes - wrong export. I would generally recommend not using File > export to export membership info. It exports too much confidential info. Instead, I generally advice my clerks to create custom reports to just export the info they want. This is in Membership > custom reports. Included in the zip file is the custom report I use to export just contact and address info (ward directory export.mls). For more info on custom reports, see here in the wiki.

Once you are in the custom reports screen, there will be a button on the bottom left that says "import". Click on that and then navigate to and select "ward directory export.mls". Once it is imported click on the blue hyperlink name. When the report opens, there will be a button on the bottom middle that says "Save to file". Navigate to some place you know and click save. The file will be saved as ward directory export.csv which can then be opened in Excel.
ccole59

Post by ccole59 »

Thanks jdcr25 for your information about the LDS beta directory site. I am encouraged and excited to see this move forward. I look forward to having Bishop access to photos since I'm the one with them all (when a new person comes into the ward I meet them and take their picture). With the ability of the member to upload is even better. Here is one situtation to think about. YSA wards are fluid, so I have kids who leave to school and come back in the summer, or who are a different BYUI schedule. So their records move back and forth a few times a year. It would be great if I could have a database of those in the ward that we manage, or "in the future" have the picture travel with the record. More than willing to be an active tester of this application as I think it is my answer. I also really like that the member can print if they want.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

I've had success using Indesign for ward directories too (love the page layouts). Out of most peoples price range, but it works well with the export files. You just have to add a column for the image file location. I would use a program like irfanview (poor man's photo editor) to resize and rename images (it has automate tools like photoshop, so you don't have to do each one by hand).

Biggest problem I saw, especially for YSA wards was the high turnover, so the thing was out of date as soon as it was printed, so we are leaning more towards the online directory.

A few wards started using the Ward Directory program distributed from ldswarddirectory.com, about $35 and can take mls export data easily (not an endorsement).
Kyrandita

Post by Kyrandita »

I noticed the other Day that the Beta Site now has an "Export" option that provides a CSV with all the same info available in the Directory, just what you need for printed directories... What I can't test is whether this export includes people who've "opted out" as in my new ward nobody else uses it yet...
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

ccole59 wrote: It would be great if I could have a database of those in the ward that we manage, or "in the future" have the picture travel with the record.
When the newest version of the image service rolls to production (hopefully within a month or so) member photos will move from one unit to the next along with their membership record. Once a member uploads a photo, they won't need a new one ever unless they want an updated photo.

The best part is, once they have a photo uploaded, you won't have to wait for them to upload a new photo when they move in. So when a family moves in, you can check out their photo in the directory right away and know who they are when they show up on Sunday. :)
ccole59

Post by ccole59 »

Funny, I try to go to the beta site and it asks for my LDS login and then tells me it isn't correct, even though I'm already logged in to this site. Not sure why it isn't working (and yes I checked text, upper/lower case, etc, and tried it a number of times).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ccole59 wrote:Funny, I try to go to the beta site and it asks for my LDS login and then tells me it isn't correct, even though I'm already logged in to this site. Not sure why it isn't working (and yes I checked text, upper/lower case, etc, and tried it a number of times).
LDSTech Forums does not currently use the LDS Account logon credentials. Even if it did, logging onto one site that uses the LDS Account credentials does not automatically log you onto another site.

You may want to check not only your password but your username. Got to the LDS Account web siteand try logging on there. Then if you still have problems click the"Can't Sign In?" button for further help.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ccole59 wrote:Funny, I try to go to the beta site and it asks for my LDS login and then tells me it isn't correct, even though I'm already logged in to this site.
You need your LDS Account login for the beta site. That's the same as for LUWS. It is not the same as this forum.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
coolhandace-p40

Out of Unit Leader

Post by coolhandace-p40 »

I am an out of unit leader at a BYU ward. How do I access my BYU ward info on beta.lds.org?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coolhandace wrote:I am an out of unit leader at a BYU ward. How do I access my BYU ward info on beta.lds.org?
You can't do it right now, but it's coming soon:
jdcr256 wrote:Out-of-unit callings is a big part of our next release for both Calendar and Directory. Both applications should be fully functional for members who have callings in multiple units (at least for most roles).

There will still be some bugs to iron out, as we are dependent on some changes in some of our supporting systems to be able to fully support this type of functionality. Nevertheless, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how well the next version works in this regard.
There is no specific announced date for release of the "next version," but I would guess it's a matter of weeks, not months.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “General Discussions”