HELP! Need to find YW Meeting Recording

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
shanebankhead

HELP! Need to find YW Meeting Recording

Post by shanebankhead »

I mis-programmed the DVR last weekend, so the General YW Meeting didn't get recorded. Now they want to use excerpts from the meeting in a Stake YW meeting. Talk about murphy's law...

So, I was hoping to find and download it from the internet. But the only place that I could find it was at beta.lds.org. Problem is, the file they have posted appears to be corrupted. I've tried downloading it from 3 different computers, and used different programs to play the file with no luck, so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on my end. In all cases the playback either stops or crashes the player during Pres. Uchtdorf's talk.

Does anyone know anywhere else that I can download this, or another way I can get a copy of the video quickly?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SBankhead wrote:I mis-programmed the DVR last weekend, so the General YW Meeting didn't get recorded. Now they want to use excerpts from the meeting in a Stake YW meeting. Talk about murphy's law...

So, I was hoping to find and download it from the internet. But the only place that I could find it was at beta.lds.org. Problem is, the file they have posted appears to be corrupted. I've tried downloading it from 3 different computers, and used different programs to play the file with no luck, so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on my end. In all cases the playback either stops or crashes the player during Pres. Uchtdorf's talk.

Does anyone know anywhere else that I can download this, or another way I can get a copy of the video quickly?
You can find the 2010 General Young Women Meeting using the current General Conference pages (go to gc.lds.org or navigate to it from lds.org using the home page link or via Gospel Library). That page has multiple options:
  • Each talk in MP4 format (use the QuickTime icon)
  • Each talk in WMV format (use the Windows Media Player icon)
  • Each talk in MP4 for ASL (use the QuickTime ASL icon)
  • The entire session in MP4
  • The entire session in WMV
Or you can go to the Beta General Conference pages (go to beta.lds.org and then choose General Conference). That page has some of the same options, but the two full session downloads seem to have the same filenames as the current page listed above:
  • Each talk using the Move player (using the icon in the Watch column)
  • Entire session using the Move player
  • The entire session in MP4 (in the Download column)
  • The entire session in WMV (in the Download column)
I downloaded the 708MB MP4 for the entire session, and it seemed to work fine.

Which specific download are you attempting? Then what operating system are you running when you play it? What player are you using?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

Thanks for the quick reply. For some reason, I only tried the WMV download, since that's what usually works best for me. I guess it was too late in the evening to think clearly, so I apologize for the fire drill. As you mentioned, the Quicktime file worked just fine, and it's much better quality anyway, so that should save my skin at our Stake meeting.

But there definitely seems to be a problem with the WMV version. I tried downloading it from both pages that you referenced, on Vista and XP, using Windows Media Player and VLC, and it cuts off or crashes in the same point in the video.

Thanks again for your help.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

Bug confirmed in the WMV file. I will make sure this gets fixed and reposted. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “General Discussions”