satellite audio and video not in sync in chapel

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Do the different models have differences in visible sync?
I wouldn't think so, but then I've never explored all the options in them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

SBankhead wrote:This can be done by adding a delay unit. But I'm curious whether the main chapel mixer has the cabapility to do this. It is software based, and I believe it has some DSP capabilities, so maybe it's something that we can do within the current system without investing in new equipment? I'll be sure to ask our audio contractor (General Communications) next time I have a chance.
So the answer depends on what audio system you have in your building, as there are variations. All of the Rane, and BSS London based systems could have an a delay added on the input side of the DSP (in software). Most of the Ivie Units do not have Input delays as possibilities (the newer 1280 and 2400 Units could), but do have output delays, which would not work well, since that would delay the speech from the pulpit during regular meetings. And if your building is based around Mixer amplifiers you would need an altogether separate piece of gear.
As with all DSP gear in the Church you would need to have one of the Church approved contractors/consultants do the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:Which one?

Wegener DVR-396
MPEG-2 IRD

Beige. Two buttons on the front panel.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

lajackson wrote:.

However, our very old televisions also have the delay, so it appears to be a difference between the audio processing and the video processing at the satellite rack.

And if we route the composite RF signal into a regular television, old or new, and the TV processes both the audio and video, the delay is still noticeable.
If you have a delay on the analog systems, the first thing I would try is to reset the satellite receiver. Occasionally, the internal clock of the satellite receiver gets out of sync between the audio and the video. Rebooting the receiver will cause it to start off fresh.
Also, if your building has multiple receivers in it, make sure that the audio and video are routed from the same receiver. NOTE: Each of the receivers has its own internal clock that it syncs to, so if you have audio from 1 receiver, and video from another the chances that they will ever be in sync is virtually nil.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

StevePoulsen wrote:If you have a delay on the analog systems, the first thing I would try is to reset the satellite receiver. . . .

Also, if your building has multiple receivers in it, make sure that the audio and video are routed from the same receiver.

As I mentioned, we need to reboot before almost every broadcast.

We have only one video receiver.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

lajackson wrote:Do the different models have differences in visible sync?
No persay, Each and every receiver has its own internal clock, other than that their processing is the same.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

lajackson wrote:As I mentioned, we need to reboot before almost every broadcast.

We have only one video receiver.
At this point I would call the help Desk in SLC, they have monitors and can check the feed up and down at the same time you check what in your building.

Return to “General Discussions”