Any ONLINE source to request replacement baptism, priesthood ord, & marriage certs?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Michael_Newman

Any ONLINE source to request replacement baptism, priesthood ord, & marriage certs?

Post by Michael_Newman »

LDS Family suffered home fire:

Is there an ONLINE source to request replacement baptismal, priesthood ordinance, marriage certificates, and patriarchal blessings?

If not, is there one (1) department that a mailed request can be sent to?

Thanks,

Michael
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Information on obtaining a copy of one's Patriarchal Blessing can be found HERE in the LDSTech Wiki.

As far as replacing other documents/certificates, I would speak to the stake clerk.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

The purpose of the certificates is to certify that the ordinances took place, in case the records need to be recreated, corrected, or verified.

For practical purposes, I think all you really need to keep on file is a copy of your Individual Ordinance Summary. This requires no signatures from anyone, and can easily be reprinted by the ward/branch clerk at anytime.

For aesthetic purposes, the difficulty in replacing the certificates will be obtaining the signature, especially if the certificates were not issued by the current bishop/branch president/stake president.

Replacement marriage certificates in the Untied States would need to be obtained from the issuing municipality (usually the county clerk) not the Church.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

There is an option in MLS under the ordianances section of the individual record to print certificates. As mentioned, though, the trouble will be in obtaining signatures. Copies of the original certificates are not sent/kept at CHQ. What is sent/kept is the exact same info the member would see on the IOS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:There is an option in MLS under the ordianances section of the individual record to print certificates. As mentioned, though, the trouble will be in obtaining signatures. Copies of the original certificates are not sent/kept at CHQ. What is sent/kept is the exact same info the member would see on the IOS.

Current leaders could prepare and sign certificates based on membership information in MLS, but as has been mentioned, the signatures will not be the same, and in many cases, the certificates will not even be the same.

The ordinance information should be, though.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jbh001 wrote:For aesthetic purposes, the difficulty in replacing the certificates will be obtaining the signature, especially if the certificates were not issued by the current bishop/branch president/stake president.
An additional difficulty will arise in trying to recreate blessing and baptism certificates if the membership records have been moved from the unit the certificates were originally created in. This is because the information regarding who performed the blessing, baptism, and/or confirmation is not recorded at CHQ, and is lost as soon as the records are moved to a different unit for any reason.
KeraDoll420

Re: Any ONLINE source to request replacement baptism, priesthood ord, & marriage certs?

Post by KeraDoll420 »

If I have my marriage certificate stating that I’m legally married to my husband can I use this for baptism please get back to me asap you can reach me by email at [email address removed] thank you

[moderator edit: email address removed, because this is a public forum]
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Any ONLINE source to request replacement baptism, priesthood ord, & marriage certs?

Post by rmrichesjr »

KeraDoll420 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:21 am If I have my marriage certificate stating that I’m legally married to my husband can I use this for baptism please get back to me asap you can reach me by email at [email address removed] thank you
I and a community administrator don't understand this post. Could you please clarify? Thanks.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

If I have my marriage certificate stating that I’m legally married to my husband can I use this for baptism
If you are referring to yourself being baptized, the missionaries are the ones to ask as they have responsibility for handling convert baptisms. Regarding convert baptisms of married people, the Church's Handbook as well as the missionary Preach My Gospel manual, both state that married people are required to have their spouse's permission in order to be baptized. I am not aware of any formal method of recording this permission, the blank baptismal form doesn't have anywhere for a spouse to sign, but perhaps there's something existing where a spouse's consent is recorded.

If you're referring to something else, then as requested, please clarify and I'm sure you'll get some helpful responses.
bjdouglas

Post by bjdouglas »

Is there a way to secure images/copies of baptismal and other ordinances?

Return to “General Discussions”