What happens when a member dies?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

zaneclark wrote:I have really, really tried to resist this but it won't go away, so here goes...
When someone in our ward dies, we usually have a funeral.....
I read the title to the thread and my first thought was "when we die, our spirits and bodies are separated." Glad to see someone else was feeling a little whimsical.

Ah, the joys of resurrected threads. (Rim shot) :)
Klabacka

Post by Klabacka »

How do you correct a erroneous death date?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

klabacka wrote:How do you correct a erroneous death date?

I would call Local Unit Support. You could also try sending a message though MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

You can request corrections to membership records of deceased individuals through Family Search. See this help document for instructions: Requesting a Correction to Church Membership Records of Deceased Individuals
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are we talking about an erroneous death, or an erroneous date?

If the member is not dead, then it would have to go though Local Unit Support. If it's a wrong date, then FamilySearch would be the way to go, particularly if the date was not recent.

Note that death dates can be a subject of disagreement. Official death dates are usually when the body has had a chance to be examined by a medical professional. But, especially in the case of a unattended death, the family may have reason to belove that the death happened some days prior.

Based on other policy for membership records, I would imagine that the date recorded should be the legal death date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

nFS can NOT correct or change ANY data on a Membership Record. It must be done by the local clerk OR LUS (Membership Department)!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KenRichins wrote:nFS can NOT correct or change ANY data on a Membership Record. It must be done by the local clerk OR LUS (Membership Department)!

However, nFS does provide a procedure for changing information from membership records for deceased members. See link upthread.

jwtaber

Re:

Post by jwtaber »

iamrkh wrote:The Social Security Death Index is another resource.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
Ancestry.com doesn't make that available for free anymore. And some folks, for whatever reason aren't in it. One ward clerk in my stake is sitting on a few records of members he understands have died, but he hasn't been able to find out when. Should go through the steps to send them to Address Unknown, or is there some other procedure?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by russellhltn »

jwtaber wrote:Ancestry.com doesn't make that available for free anymore.
I believe that you can get it from FamilySearch.

You might try and sound out your local Dept of Health. See if they can provide confirmation of someone's death.

JamesAnderson

Re: What happens when a member dies?

Post by JamesAnderson »

FamilySearch also has the SSDI on it as well. They update it monthly. There is one family history site that is commercial in nature, I think it's GenealogyBank.com, gets nearly daily updates to it as well. The SSDI has the death location as well as where the death benefit was sent.

When a member dies and the record is sent back to Salt Lake as previously described, the death date is also posted on Family Tree (formerly nFS). However, it's up to whoever does know the location to put death locations in if desired. Burial location and date may also be added.

Look for an obituary too, there are a number of places that aggregate data that has fallen off newspaper websites, notably Ancestry for US obituaries, that can give both of the above dates and places, sometimes even more details (see the Family History Course DVD for a description related t this).

By the way, interestingly, in Brazil, obituaries may regularly be found on local radio station websites, especially in the smaller places.

Return to “General Discussions”