What happens when a member dies?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
MorettiDP

What happens when a member dies?

Post by MorettiDP »

What happens when a Church member dies? How this information affects the LDS Account logins and the logins in other Church websites? What will happen to the LDS Account of a deceased member when your membership record is sent to the Deceased Members File of CHQ from the ward MLS? What happens to the information he posted on LDS.org new systems (like Calendar, Leaders, etc.) or his family data and login levels at FamilySearch Family Tree?
rmanpaul

Post by rmanpaul »

I would asume that as we register using our specific member data that when the ward clerk updating the member record to show a deceased date it would cancel any online accounts that we have signed up to using this information.

Though this would be one for the tech people to confirm
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would imagine that the accounts are disabled, but the data remains.

nFS already has a way for a family member to get control of information entered by deceased relative.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

MorettiDP wrote:What happens when a Church member dies?
I have really, really tried to resist this but it won't go away, so here goes...
When someone in our ward dies, we usually have a funeral.....
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:I have really, really tried to resist this but it won't go away, so here goes...

"Resistance if futile."

After one funeral for a member we did not know lived in the ward, I asked the Membership Department if they needed to send me the membership record so that we could record the death date.

The good sister said that was not necessary, because a death date was already recorded on the record from 10 years earlier. She said she would update the record to show the correct date of death.

So yes, the details are important. (She probably should not have told me the name of the ward and stake providing the earlier date, though I intend to keep that information confidential until the day I die.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:(She probably should not have told me the name of the ward and stake providing the earlier date, though I intend to keep that information confidential until the day I die.)
You sure the member didn't start the rumor? ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

zaneclark wrote:I have really, really tried to resist this but it won't go away, so here goes...

Hahahahaha.... wonderful! Of course, we have a funeral and after a cemetery ceremony and all that things... ^_^

But it's only a question because I'm working in a college project about "the digital legacy we give to posterity" in blogs, social networks, etc. and I believe is interesting to know what is done from our data when we dies, specially now with the release of LDS Account websites.

Thank you, guys!
dverloc

Recording Death of a Member

Post by dverloc »

We have a member who passed away some time ago but it is not recorded in MLS. Her husband is not friendly towards the church and won't give us more than the date that she died.

My question is what kind of verification is needed to input the death in MLS? We can find no public record certifying her death and don't just want to input the date given by her husband in case he's giving malicious information.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

dverloc, I would check newspapers, I was able to find several dates for members as a new ward clerk that had passed away, but no clerk recorded the data. I was new to the city, and state, and it didn't take long to find the obituary.
iamrkh

Post by iamrkh »

The Social Security Death Index is another resource.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

Return to “General Discussions”