Tech Chats

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

On IM, Ive heard of an application that uses all three major IM programs, it can be found at http://www.trillian.cc so you only need one client to work with MSN, Yahoo, and AIM. Might be useful for those involved in leading the discussions if IM chat is used.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

JamesAnderson wrote:On IM, Ive heard of an application that uses all three major IM programs, it can be found at www.trillian.cc so you only need one client to work with MSN, Yahoo, and AIM. Might be useful for those involved in leading the discussions if IM chat is used.
There are several products that are similar such as Gaim and Kopete. However none of these technologies merge the IM streams into 1. They just allow you to host all of your different IM accounts under one roof. But you cannot have someone on Yahoo speak to someone on AIM through these products as they are still very different networks.

Tom
HansenBK

Live Webinar

Post by HansenBK »

A Webinar with people being able to submit questions via IM and email and then responses verbally over the Webinar would be what I think people are striving for. We have the technology in house to do it or there are local companies that do it well like Sorensen Media. (Yes I know the rules we don't post up vendor solutions, they were the technology that we originally used to do the conference broadcasting).

Does that sound more along the lines of what people were thinking? I think it would be great.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bh5k wrote:A Webinar with people being able to submit questions via IM and email and then responses verbally over the Webinar would be what I think people are striving for. We have the technology in house to do it or there are local companies that do it well like Sorensen Media. (Yes I know the rules we don't post up vendor solutions, they were the technology that we originally used to do the conference broadcasting).

Does that sound more along the lines of what people were thinking? I think it would be great.
Yeah, I think the concensus from everyone was that the best solution would have the flexibility to filter and prioritize questions via some text interface (IM or email), and that the actual presentation would be video (or at least voice) to speed up how much material can be covered (because speaking is faster than typing).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Yeah, I think the concensus from everyone was that the best solution would have the flexibility to filter and prioritize questions via some text interface (IM or email), and that the actual presentation would be video (or at least voice) .
Yes, that's how I've seen it done when I got to various webenars for my job. Sometimes the whole thing is part of one software package, and sometimes it seems to be a mix of packages.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I'd hate to start a platform debate, but does Microsoft or any other company provide a web conference platform that 1.) The Church has access to and the techs have experience managing and 2.) Is widely available enough that end users could easily tune in through common software or small downloads?

WebEx, Office LiveMeeting, etc...?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

kgthunder wrote:I'd hate to start a platform debate, but does Microsoft or any other company provide a web conference platform that 1.) The Church has access to and the techs have experience managing and 2.) Is widely available enough that end users could easily tune in through common software or small downloads?

WebEx, Office LiveMeeting, etc...?

I remember that Microsoft had NetMeeting and I used that, but that product has been replaced and I only know that most of it's technologies have been implemented in MSN Messenger.
- David

Return to “General Discussions”