Tech Talks in Montain View CA

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
WelchTC

Tech Talks in Montain View CA

Post by WelchTC »

For those who attended our Tech Talks in Mountain View CA on April 25th, please post your comments here. How did you like it? What could we have done better? Any and all feedback welcome!

Tom
KathrynGZ

Kudos to all of you!

Post by KathrynGZ »

tomw wrote:For those who attended our Tech Talks in Mountain View CA on April 25th, please post your comments here. How did you like it? What could we have done better? Any and all feedback welcome!

Tom
I was flying high after attending the Tech Talk in Mountain View! I've loved technology since my IBMer Dad brought home our first dual-floppy PC (no hard drive :) ) back in the 80's. To hear how the Church is leveraging technology in support of its mission was thrilling.

What did I like about the Tech Talk?

• Joel's keynote address: easy-going, engaging presentation style, high-quality slideshow, interesting subject matter, emphasis on collaboration ... but even more than that, I was so grateful for the faithfulness that came through as he talked. I loved hearing about his experiences with the Brethren and their support of using technology to build the Kingdom. I so appreciated his testimony and felt the Spirit during his presentation. He expressed concern that his presentation had gone over time, but I wasn't sorry.
  • I felt the same goodness from the presenters in the breakout sessions. It was clear they were competent and talented, and equally clear that they wanted to use their talents to further the work of the Lord. I loved the spirit of cooperation and collaboration, and also the absence of defensiveness or arrogance.
  • I enjoyed learning more about the Church's plans relative to technology.
  • It was also fun to be with other LDS technophiles :)
What could have been done better?

Hmmm. I am not sure I'd have any recommendations for handling the last Tech Talk better--it was great for a first one in the Bay Area. I wish it could have been longer, but hadn't the presenters been at a conference all day? I do have recommendations for the next one, though, building on this one:

• If possible, make it longer :) Perhaps allow more time for the keynote address, and have 3 - 4 breakout sessions.
  • I'd like more time for questions and interaction at the end of the breakout sessions.
  • Next time, how about a panel discussion where the audience could ask questions?
  • I'd like to know more about specific projects you want help with so I could determine whether my skills match your needs.
  • It might even be fun and enlightening for you to bring a specific problem you'd like solved and have those interested brainstorm on solutions.
  • At the end of the 2nd Web 2.0 session Joel said something about getting dinner. This was around 8:15 p.m.! I would have been happy to pick up something for you guys. If you want me to do that next time, let me know, and I'm serious! Maybe we could even have a brownbag session with the panel discussion.
All in all, I can't thank you enough for taking time to do this Tech Talk. I'm grateful for the kind of people you are and what you are doing. I'm grateful you're inviting us to be a part of it through Tech Talks and this site. Thank you so much.

Kathryn

Return to “General Discussions”