Live Streaming with Move?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

acabre wrote:I received the following reply from my feedback post (in which I included a link to this thread):

It's nice to know I'm not crazy :) And if you're still reading this thread, thanks Portal Team!
Interesting. Although I still don't see any problem. It's working on two computers I've tried without a hitch. So whatever problem you're seeing isn't widespread. Thanks for the note.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If you are still having a problem, go to http://www.byu.tv and try that feed. It runs about two minutes behind real time, even when you select the go live button, but it has worked fine for us this weekend.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

lajackson wrote:If you are still having a problem, go to [url]http:/www.byu.tv[/url] and try that feed. It runs about two minutes behind real time, even when you select the go live button, but it has worked fine for us this weekend.

I think the URL behind your link got mangled. It should be http://www.byu.tv/

The link in this commentis also broken.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:I think the URL behind your link got mangled. It should be http://www.byu.tv/

The link in this commentis also broken.
Thanks for pointing those out; I fixed the link in the post you mentioned, and RussellHltn fixed the post in the "this comment" post.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Thanks for pointing those out; I fixed the link in the post you mentioned, and RussellHltn fixed the post in the "this comment" post.
Thank you for noticing the error, boomerbubba, and Alan and Russell for fixing the links. I am not sure how I managed to mangle them, because they looked ok to me, but I apologize, especially since conference was over before they got fixed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The problem acabre was having may not have been a Move player installation issue. There was a period of time at the beginning of the morning session that nothing was available (at least for me) for the live conference stream. I had the pre-conference stream working before this morning session. But as soon as conference started problems with the stream began. Three minutes into conference the stream stopped entirely for about 25 minutes (just a blank video box). At about 10:38 MST I was able to get the stream back.

When there is a live stream available there will be a button just below the video box that says either "Live" if the live stream is selected, or "Go Live" if another recorded stream is selected. That is how I tell whether I have the live stream selected. It said "Live" during the down time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Well, it's too late for this round of conference, but somewhere I came across the link http://gc.lds.org and had no (major) problems streaming the live sessions. About 30 to 60 minutes after each session ended it posted segments of each individual session. I don't know how long this will stay up, but I can't imagine it will be taken down anytime soon.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

jdlessley wrote:I had the pre-conference stream working before this morning session. But as soon as conference started problems with the stream began. Three minutes into conference the stream stopped entirely for about 25 minutes (just a blank video box). At about 10:38 MST I was able to get the stream back.
I had exact same problem but instead switched to byu.tv and even though they too uses MoveNetwork it was actually working and so I stayed with it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

With the last major "upgrade" by Move Networks about a year ago, I began having video problems with all of the KBYU-TV broadcasts. I tried everything from reloading to new video card drivers to appealing to the Church, BYU-TV, and Move Networks help desks, sending screenshots, etc., to no avail.

I was using WinXP Pro SP2 and running the latest FireFox browser. I never had problems with the audio. It was just the video, which was distorted in both directions, the size and proportion of the picture changing in a predictable but warped manner depending on the download speed of the program at the time. The problem continued through general conference weekend in October.

I am pleased to report that I just watched the CES Fireside with President Uchtdorf and had no problems at all (other than a little stalling on the live feed because a lot of the rest of the world was also watching).

As I tried to log in, I had to wait about a minute for a new Move Networks update to install. After it did, the program ran well and the video, both in normal screen and full screen modes, was perfectly proportioned and gave me no problems at all. (To fix the stalling, I time shifted back about one minute and the signal became stable. This has been my normal approach, and it has always worked.)

I give credit to Move Networks for fixing whatever was broken with the video rendering before, although I realize it was working for others, and may just have been my combination of software and hardware.

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I moved from SP2 to SP3 yesterday, as well. I do not for a moment believe that would have fixed the problem. It actually broke a dozen more things that I am still trying to resolve.

I think the upgrade that Move Networks pushed as I logged in this evening solved my video rendering problems. And I appreciate it very much.

Return to “General Discussions”