Live Streaming with Move?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
acabre-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: USA

Live Streaming with Move?

Postby acabre-p40 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:53 am

Hello all,

I am wondering if I should be able to view in-progress General Conference with the move viewer, or if it is only useful for viewing completed sessions?

The Church's broadcast page at http://www.lds.org/broadcast/gc/0,5161,8870,00.html links to http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=Oct179&lang=english, which has only shown completed sessions since yesterday; first the Relief Society General Session during the first session, and now the completed sessions (Sat AM/PM and Priesthood).

Thanks!

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:56 am

acabre wrote:Hello all,

I am wondering if I should be able to view in-progress General Conference with the move viewer, or if it is only useful for viewing completed sessions?

The Church's broadcast page at http://www.lds.org/broadcast/gc/0,5161,8870,00.html links to http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=Oct179&lang=english, which has only shown completed sessions since yesterday; first the Relief Society General Session during the first session, and now the completed sessions (Sat AM/PM and Priesthood).

Thanks!


The Move player supports the live broadcast. However, keep in mind that the Sunday broadcasts are generally watched a little more than the Saturday ones, thus it may be difficult to at times to obtain a good feed.

It took me several attempts this morning, but it did finally come through live. You'll find a link to the live feed on the home page of the church (lds.org) http://www.lds.org/broadcast/gc/0,5161,8870,00.html
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

acabre-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: USA

Postby acabre-p40 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:02 am

Is there a different URL to load the live session? I can't see how to view the live session from the page linked to by the broadcast page.

Here's a screenshot of what I see on the move page when it loads:
http://drop.io/movelive/asset/move-png

Thanks for your help!

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:12 am

acabre wrote:Is there a different URL to load the live session? I can't see how to view the live session from the page linked to by the broadcast page.

Here's a screenshot of what I see on the move page when it loads:
http://drop.io/movelive/asset/move-png

Thanks for your help!


I don't know how you arrived at the page you mentioned. If you have the Move player installed you should get a page that opens up with the conference (live) broadcast. The page I provided takes you to the broadcast page where you can choose what broadcast format you want.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

acabre-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: USA

Postby acabre-p40 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:16 am

If you go to http://lds.org/ and click on "watch or listen to the conference", it takes you to http://www.lds.org/broadcast/gc/0,5161,8870,00.html .

On this page, under the second section "Video Streams - Watch Conference Online", if you click "English", it goes to http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=Oct179&lang=english , which is the page that only shows the past sessions.

I guess I'm really not seeing the page that explains how to view the live session. I figured the broadcast page would.

Thanks for the quick reply!

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:20 am

acabre wrote:If you go to http://lds.org/ and click on "watch or listen to the conference", it takes you to http://www.lds.org/broadcast/gc/0,5161,8870,00.html .

On this page, under the second section "Video Streams - Watch Conference Online", if you click "English", it goes to http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=Oct179&lang=english , which is the page that only shows the past sessions.

I guess I'm really not seeing the page that explains how to view the live session. I figured the broadcast page would.

Thanks for the quick reply!


I'm still not seeing what you're referring to. I click on http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=Oct179&lang=english it takes me to the page where the broadcast loads. After a few seconds the broadcast appears.

I'd have to believe that you either don't have the Move player installed or that it's corrupt. You may wish to remove the player, reboot your system, and try a fresh install.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

acabre-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: USA

Postby acabre-p40 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for your help.

After completely removing Firefox and Move, rebooting, reinstalling Firefox and Move, I still get the same page with past sessions only (as in the screenshot linked above).

I sent feedback yesterday morning at the Move page, so hopefully the Church's techs know about the issue. Today, the feedback link just goes to a "#" anchor, so it looks like they have disabled it.

I'll just probably go back to the Windows Media feed with Totem under Ubuntu rather than booting XP and messing around with the Move player for the last session, since it seems to be broken for me.

Thanks again for your help!

acabre-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: USA

Postby acabre-p40 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 am

Just a note, I also tried with IE 7, so I don't think this is a Firefox issue. I believe that the Move player I removed via Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs is the Move player that IE installs since I had to also reinstall the Move player in IE after I had reinstalled Firefox and the Move plugin.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:30 am

acabre wrote:Just a note, I also tried with IE 7, so I don't think this is a Firefox issue. I believe that the Move player I removed via Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs is the Move player that IE installs since I had to also reinstall the Move player in IE after I had reinstalled Firefox and the Move plugin.


I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help any further. I'm simply not seeing what you're getting and I have no idea as to why. I've used two completely different computers and both provide me the video of the live broadcast when I click on the link I mentioned.

If you have another computer you might wish to try it there.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

acabre-p40
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: USA

Postby acabre-p40 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:44 am

I received the following reply from my feedback post (in which I included a link to this thread):

We are currently working on pinpointing the cause of the problem. We hope to have it resolved as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback and the additional information you provided.

Sincerely the LDS.org Portal Team


It's nice to know I'm not crazy :) And if you're still reading this thread, thanks Portal Team!


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests