Where can I find old homefront ads?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

garysturn

Post by garysturn »

Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
techgy
Community Moderators

Deseret Book Videos

Post by techgy »

You can also try Deseret Book Videos
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Techgy wrote:You can also try Deseret Book Videos
No. It shows they are not longer available per Bonneville Communications' request.
greggo

Post by greggo »

wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks for that last link Greggo but it seems that none of the videos will play on my mac. I had the same problem with the conference stream. Running Safari with Snow Leopard.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Greggo wrote:Happened to find these yesterday
http://www.mormon.org/homefront/0,15902,3865-1,00.html
wrigjef wrote:Thanks for that last link Greggo but it seems that none of the videos will play on my mac. I had the same problem with the conference stream. Running Safari with Snow Leopard.
That page is (in my opinion) not the best-written HTML I have seen. For me, on my Linux system, clicking on a link produces an alert that Windows Media Player is not compatible with Netscape 6--never mind that my browser is Firefox and Windows Media Player is not available for my OS. There is a solution, but it takes a bit of work:

Step 1, get the URL for the page that should appear in the popup. Hover over the link and look at the target URL in the status bar at the bottom of the browser window. Notice the string. For "Family Harmony", it is '/mediapopup_hr/0,8857,68082-1.00.html'. Put that (without the quotation marks) in the browser location bar after 'www.mormon.org'. For me, that brings up a page asking me to download a plugin. If that page plays the video, great. If not, go to step 2.

Step 2, get the URL of the .asx file. Do View -> Page Source to see the source of the page. Search for "FileName" or ".asx". For "Family Harmony", it's "/stg/multimedia/files/homefront/68082_FamilyHarmony_56_wh.asx". Put that (without the quotation marks) in the browser location bar after 'www.mormon.org'. If that plays, great. If not, save it to a file and go to step 3.

Step 3, get the URL of the actual video. Look at the contents of the .asx file in a text editor or something similar to Notepad. Find the URL of a .wmv file. Run your favorite media player on that URL. As I type this, I'm watching "Family Harmony" with mplayer on my home Linux system.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

rmrichesjr wrote:That page is (in my opinion) not the best-written HTML I have seen. For me, on my Linux system, clicking on a link produces an alert that Windows Media Player is not compatible with Netscape 6--never mind that my browser is Firefox and Windows Media Player is not available for my OS. There is a solution, but it takes a bit of work:
If your "less techie" and just want a quick easy solution for situations like that then I can recommend getting the IETab add-on for Firefox. It is the one add-on that convinced me to move to Firefox. If a webpage is not displaying correctly in FF then you click on the icon at the bottom and the page will load in the same window but by using the IE engire and it works.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

dkjorgi wrote:If your "less techie" and just want a quick easy solution for situations like that then I can recommend getting the IETab add-on for Firefox. It is the one add-on that convinced me to move to Firefox. If a webpage is not displaying correctly in FF then you click on the icon at the bottom and the page will load in the same window but by using the IE engire and it works.
The Firefox IE Tab only works on Firefox for Windows. It does not work on Firefox for Mac OS X or Linux because the IE Tab actually runs IE from within Firefox. It can do this on Windows because IE is already installed on Windows. IE has been discontinued for Mac OS X, and I doubt that there ever was a version of IE for Linux.

And for a point of pointless speculation (further forking this thread), if you installed Google's Chrome Frame for IE and set it to run as the default renderer for IE, then installed the IE Tab for Firefox, could you then run Google Chrome, via IE, via Firefox? (I guess it would be simpler to just use Google Chrome.)

Return to “General Discussions”