No General Conference on Linux with Move Media

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
gabeblack-p40

login required?

Post by gabeblack-p40 »

It appears that a login is required for byutv. That is fine, but I would like to be able to have a plugin to mythtv. Anyone knows if there is a way to accomplish this or a programmatic way to get access to the video stream?
allenjblodgett

Byu tv

Post by allenjblodgett »

BYU TV recently stopped use of Move Media. It will be possible to watch it on their website. I believe, it it much better quality video.

http://www.byutv.org/live

You will need to create an account (which is free) to watch the live stream and any other videos on the site.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

The Church is no longer using Move Networks for live streaming of Conference. It has been changed to a Flash player that should work on any Flash enabled device. The video on demand that is made available approximately 8 hours after each session is also HTML5 compatible so it will also play on iOS devices.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

gabeblack wrote:It appears that a login is required for byutv. That is fine, but I would like to be able to have a plugin to mythtv. Anyone knows if there is a way to accomplish this or a programmatic way to get access to the video stream?
Your best bet would be to access the Windows Media streams directly using the "Additional Media Streams" section at the lds.org Broadcasting site. Every other method has the flash player in the way.

The real downside to this is the abysmally low bandwidth used by this stream. I realize that Windows Media formats are pretty bad for sharing, but I'd gladly pay the church to offset the cost of access to a high-bandwidth stream. I've got enough bandwidth on my end. :D
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

allen.blodgett wrote:BYU TV recently stopped use of Move Media. It will be possible to watch it on their website. I believe, it it much better quality video.
Well, I have had just the opposite experience. The bandwidth is still high enough that it overruns my DSL. The picture cannot keep up, and the audio stutters during video takeover moments. At least Move used to compensate for all of that.

And I am still trying to figure out how to navigate the new BYU TV site. Since I rarely watched anything live, but usually time shifted it a day or two, I find that I can no longer watch my favorite programs.

Unless BYU TV supports conference more robustly in real time, that will be out, as well. Even with Move in the past, I had to time shift about 10 minutes to get a decent feed.

Most sadly, I have yet to get anything from the conference website worth watching. I tried to view the General RS Meeting earlier this evening. BYU TV does not have it, and the conference site cannot smoothly deliver it.

The assumption seems to be that we are all more speedily connected and will be watching in real time. Some of us are still on that last mile with the early remnants of DSL and wait until later in the evening to view programs after having taken care of more pressing matters.

Return to “General Discussions”