Priesthood Session for tomorrow- Stream options and Archive?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
brandonb-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Orem, Utah USA

Priesthood Session for tomorrow- Stream options and Archive?

Postby brandonb-p40 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 am

I have found conflicting information. My 4 brothers, myself and my father are taking a vacation. We planned it months ago. We always go to priesthood together. When I purchased our plane tickets, I didn't realize it was conference weekend. We will be in the air during Priesthood. I noticed on the church website
http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-1032,00.html
that there is video archives of the last priesthood session.

According to this website
http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-1117,00.html

We will have the option to watch or listen to it.

According to this website
http://www.lds.org/conference-info/0,21082,8876-1,00.html

We can stream it an hour after it is broadcast.

These links suggest it will be very easy to watch. However, I have found and been told on a vast majority of other websites and even some on the lds website that The priesthood stream will be blocked. I was wondering if I can have a definitive answer. Thanks for all your help.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:11 pm

brandonb wrote:These links suggest it will be very easy to watch. However, I have found and been told on a vast majority of other websites and even some on the lds website that The priesthood stream will be blocked. I was wondering if I can have a definitive answer. Thanks for all your help.


I am not in a position to give a definitive answer, but since no one else has responded, I thought I'd at least give an opinion and some information.

I know you'd really like to have a positive answer to your question, but I don't see any evidence that the communications from the Church have been any different from previous conferences. The pages you linked to make broad statements, but I don't see how you can conclude from them that the priesthood session "will be very easy to watch."

If you want a specific source, see the broadcast schedule. That lists every broadcast of each session, including Internet streams, with specific times and languages. If you examine that document in the section titled "Internet" you will see no mention of the priesthood session. I think that makes it pretty clear that there will not be a Internet stream of the priesthood session.

The priesthood session is specifically mentioned only in the section titled "Church Satellite Broadcast Schedule", which is how it has always been broadcast. I see no evidence of this changing for this conference.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6129
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:17 pm

brandonb wrote:I noticed on the church website
http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-1032,00.html
that there is video archives of the last priesthood session.


The October 2008 conference is the first one where video archives of the priesthood session were uploaded. They are also there for the April 2009 conference, so it would appear that this is the new trend. In other words, at some point after the conference, you will be able to go back and watch the priesthood session. I imagine that they were uploaded about a week after the conference, or whenever the other video was uploaded.

brandonb wrote:According to this website
http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-1117,00.html
We will have the option to watch or listen to it.


In the past, including the April 2009 conference, this only applied to the general sessions. The priesthood session was not available to watch. If it will be different this time, it has not been announced or otherwise been made generally known.

brandonb wrote:According to this website
http://www.lds.org/conference-info/0,21082,8876-1,00.html
We can stream it an hour after it is broadcast.


Again, this has only applied to the general sessions in past conferences, not the priesthood session. I have not heard that it will be different this time.

brandonb wrote:These links suggest it will be very easy to watch.


Not the priesthood session, unless something has changed. The only thing I have seen different is that the video is now available at the Church conference site archives for the last two conferences. This is new. And, in fact, I had not realized it was even there until you pointed it out and I looked to see.

Unless you are flying over northern Utah at the time and sneak an AM radio onto the plane (1160 kHz), I do not think you will be able to see or hear the priesthood session until the video archives are loaded.

You could always check with the satellite specialist at your destination and see if he recorded the session. Or your home specialist might have a copy you could check out of the meetinghouse library when you return.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but if things have not changed, it appears to me that you will not get to see the priesthood session in a very timely manner. That said, things do change from time to time.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:34 pm

lajackson wrote:The October 2008 conference is the first one where video archives of the priesthood session were uploaded. They are also there for the April 2009 conference, so it would appear that this is the new trend.


The "trend" is actually only about 4 months old. It wasn't until 24 May 2009 that the April 2009 and the October 2008 priesthood sessions were uploaded (see this post and the following posts). So really, it would be more accurate to say that the April 2009 conference was the first one to be uploaded, and the powers that be decided at that time to go back and upload the October 2008 priesthood session as well.

That said, it does seem reasonable that the priesthood session video archive for this conference will be made available. The only availability date we have is on this page, which says it will happen within 2 weeks.

User avatar
McDanielCA
Member
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:38 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Postby McDanielCA » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:16 pm

You will not be able to stream the priesthood session in real time. It will posted very quickly afterward. Most likely within a few hours time.

brandonb-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 am
Location: Orem, Utah USA

Postby brandonb-p40 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:37 pm

thank you so much.

User avatar
opee
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Postby opee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 pm

McDanielCA wrote:You will not be able to stream the priesthood session in real time. It will posted very quickly afterward. Most likely within a few hours time.


I see that it is up already. Wow, that is great!

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:14 am

opee wrote:I see that it is up already. Wow, that is great!


And where is that? The only Priesthood Session recording I can see is the pure audio (MP3) at http://www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-1117,00.html.

Where would one find the video stream (which is the topic of this thread)?

kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 am
Location: Alnwick, UK

Postby kennethjorgensen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:33 am

Alan_Brown wrote:And where is that? The only Priesthood Session recording I can see is the pure audio (MP3)
Where would one find the video stream (which is the topic of this thread)?


Having the audio is what we were excited about but the video is there NOW on the Flash/MoveNetwork interface.

User avatar
mfmohlma
Senior Member
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Hillsboro, OR

Postby mfmohlma » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:47 am

dkjorgi wrote:... the video is there NOW on the Flash/MoveNetwork interface.


Link is here for English. Click on Priesthood, then whatever portion of it you want to view at the bottom.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest