Conference noise

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Conference noise

Post by zaneclark »

What was the noise between speakers?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Conference noise

Post by russellhltn »

I spot checked a recording from the satellite. All I heard was normal "room" noise that one expects when you have a large crowd. (Coughing, rustling, etc.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:I spot checked a recording from the satellite. All I heard was normal "room" noise that one expects when you have a large crowd. (Coughing, rustling, etc.)
That's exactly what it sounded like, but very loud, but then it stopped very abruptly when the speaker started. I'm guessing they have mics turned toward the congregation and then turned them off when the speaker started speaking. Its not a big deal, but I've watched a lot GC over the years and I don't remember this before.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Neither my wife nor I noticed any unusual noise between conference speakers watching from home via lds.org, FWIW.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How were you watching? It's possible that a compressor in that feed made this obvious.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

davesudweeks wrote:Neither my wife nor I noticed any unusual noise between conference speakers watching from home via lds.org, FWIW.
We watched on BYU-TV, through our local Cox Cable...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You also might want to check your TV and cable box settings. There might be something there about adjusting the sound level. The idea being that if you're watching a movie, you want to be able to hear the dialog without getting blasted by the action scenes. The acceptable dynamic range for typical TV viewing is a lot less than a dedicated movie theater setup.

For comparison, you might want to watch it from the main church website on your computer.

zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:Y.

For comparison, you might want to watch it from the main church website on your computer.
Is there a place on the church web site where you can watch the entire session and not just the speakers or music? The noise doesn't occur when watching just the speakers..
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:

Is there a place on the church web site where you can watch the entire session and not just the speakers or music? The noise doesn't occur when watching just the speakers..
Sure. Just go to gc.churchofjesuschrist.org, and click on the three button icon at the top - just to the right of the session name.

The sound is there (I'm listening using headphones), but I'm not hearing it at level that makes it sound like extra mics are being turned on. It's what I'd expect the pulpit mic to pick up.

zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:
zaneclark wrote:

Sure. Just go to gc.churchofjesuschrist.org, and click on the three button icon at the top - just to the right of the session name.

The sound is there (I'm listening using headphones), but I'm not hearing it at level that makes it sound like extra mics are being turned on. It's what I'd expect the pulpit mic to pick up.
Just listened and you are correct..no noise. So it must be something to do with the feed from BYU-TV coming through Cox Cable... As I said before, no big thing, just curious.

Return to “General Discussions”