Touchscreen Temple Baptistry Recorder (Paperless)

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wlovett

Touchscreen Temple Baptistry Recorder (Paperless)

Post by wlovett »

Does anyone know if the Church working on a way to record proxy baptisms and confirmations electronically?
I imagine a touchscreen at the font recorder's desk that records the ordinance.
A similar one to record proxy confirmations.
The system would replace the need for the red pencil and paper cards.

Just curious if that is being developed or tested currently.

walt
drepouille

Re: Touchscreen Temple Baptistry Recorder (Paperless)

Post by drepouille »

Due to frequent Family File walk-ins, the best you could hope for is to have a bar code scanner on the desk. However, I think the temple recorder and the office staff would prefer to have a temple worker scan those bar codes.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wlovett wrote:The system would replace the need for the red pencil and paper cards.
Many years ago, when a record was kept of who was proxy for the ordinance, the temple did it that way. There were some advantages, but in other parts of the temple there were also some disadvantages and problems with the system that frequently resulted in a loss of reverence.

In the end, reverence won.

Technology is wonderful when it does not distract. I do not know if there is any effort at the moment to return to such a system. Newer technology today might make a difference, but I have not heard of any consideration, evaluation, or tests in that area.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:In the end, reverence won.
I think that's very important. Right now, if the computer system has problems the only disturbance and interruption is in the recorder's office. I can just imagine having to stop and wait during baptisms when the computer freezes and has to be rebooted. There isn't a lot that can go wrong with a pencil and paper.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

eblood66 wrote:I think that's very important. Right now, if the computer system has problems the only disturbance and interruption is in the recorder's office. I can just imagine having to stop and wait during baptisms when the computer freezes and has to be rebooted. There isn't a lot that can go wrong with a pencil and paper.
Exactly. The same applies at the recommend desk when the computer does not work. Check the paper recommend and move along.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “General Discussions”