The Church And Windows Licenses

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From the FamilySearch link:
A valid Windows XP or downgraded Windows Vista license sticker must be attached to the computer case before installing this DVD. If a license sticker is not attached to the PC, please call 1-866-406-1830 to obtain one.
I think we can stop right there. Everything else is how we can expect that conversation to turn out. If there's a sticker, go. If there isn't, call.
Computers provided to family history centers by the Family History Department since 2004, even if they were Win2000 machines, were licensed to run WinXP.
This is true for NEW computers provided by the FHD. There is a XP sticker on the side, even if Win2000 was loaded on the hard drive. This doesn't change my statement above.

This is less clear for cascaded (used) computers from the FHD. IF FHD had provided any that didn't have XP stickers, it's possible they accounted for them before sending them out. Maybe. I'd still go by the rule, if it doesn't have a XP sticker, call.

I still have a question about XP Home vs XP Professional. The stickers I've looked at show "Professional". Certainly any computers provided by the church, new or cascaded would have Professional if they had XP. The question comes up with donated computers. Last I knew, there was a cost to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro. So I'm thinking it requires a call to get a upgrade if the sticker is XP Home.

So I'd amend my rule above to "if it has XP Pro, go. Otherwise, call."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”