Policies on Using Church Buildings

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
drepouille

Policies on Using Church Buildings

Post by drepouille »

Regarding Handbook 2, section 21.2:
I see numerous craft fairs held in churches in my area. While we have held various kinds of fairs in our stake center, we have not allowed local vendors to actually sell their products on church property. This may sound naive, but I just wonder why we don't allow vendors to sell products at craft fairs in our meetinghouses, as other churches do.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Policies on Using Church Buildings

Post by russellhltn »

Church buildings and other property are to be used for worship, religious instruction, and other Church-related activities. Church property should not be used for commercial or political purposes, which would violate laws that permit its tax exemption.
I think what it comes down to is that the church is much more strict in following the law. Keep in mind the Handbook is for global use, so what might be legal (or unenforced) in your area isn't necessarily OK in other states or counties.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”