Question about private letters from General Authorities

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lifferthwk

Question about private letters from General Authorities

Post by lifferthwk »

I have been searching for statements from church leaders about letters from General Authorities to specific members of the church when the member writes to the leaders of the church with a question. I can't recall anything about the statements except the gist of it being that the members aren't to publish those letters to the general public without permission of the general authority or something to that effect?

If you don't know the specifics on this, isn't there also a means where we can email someone at the church to research something like this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Question about private letters from General Authorities

Post by russellhltn »

The closest I can get is Handbook 2: 21.1.39 - Statements Attributed to Church Leaders, which in part says:
Any notes made when General Authorities, Area Seventies, or other general Church officers speak at stake conferences or other meetings should not be distributed without the consent of the speaker. Personal notes are for individual use only.
I think it's fair to say that personal letters from a GA hasn't been though the kind of review necessary for communication beyond the intended audience.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”