LDS Hymns in midi format

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ampman

LDS Hymns in midi format

Post by ampman »

Does anyone have or know of resources for downloading or purchasing midi files that can be used with Allen church organs (equipped with a midi player) and appropriate for Sacrament meetings? I have the equipment but no organ player.

Thanks much, Bishop D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Hymns in midi format

Post by russellhltn »

I don't have a quick answer for your question, but I thought a few quotes might be helpful in a different way:

Handbook 2: 14.7
When there is not a reasonable alternative, priesthood leaders may authorize the use of meetinghouse pianos and organs for practice, paid private instruction, and recitals involving members of the units that use the meetinghouse.
Handbook 2: 14.9.3
Where an organ is available, it is normally used for prelude and postlude music and hymn accompaniment. A piano may be used for these purposes when an organ or an organist is not available.
I thought there was a quote indicating use of budget funds for private instruction was allowable, but I can't find that.

That's not say using MIDI files is wrong (as long as the copyright is complied with) - some of the newer organs have hymns built-in. In fact, you might want to check the Owners Manual to see if yours has that feature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ampman

Post by ampman »

Thanks for your response. I have a stake center size organ with a brand new midi player just installed. What I need are a collection of LDS hymns that we can play for meetings of all types. We have one of the Kawai portables with built in midi music - most of the files are corrupt, can;t keep time, misses verses, etc..

I am in hopes that someone in the Church has already done what I am looking for. Appreciate any thoughts.

Bishop D
Maine
cjohn1949

Post by cjohn1949 »

I found them on this site: http://emp.byui.edu/smithk/mechamusic/SongTitles.htm. They claim to have received permission from the Church to make them available this way.
ampman

Post by ampman »

Thanks much - still trying to get this issue settled.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you tried working with FM? They're responsible for the larger pieces of equipment. They might be able to arrange for the "repair" of that portable keyboard, or find out who at CHQ would have the MIDI files.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”