Best Fundraising Ideas

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

nutterb wrote:I think this is a fair question to bring up to the young women, and if the scouts are going to embark on such a trip, the young women should be given an opportunity to do so.
I know of an adjacent ward whose young men went on a fabulous adventure, and went way over budget doing so. All the organizations were told to tighten their belts that year in response. The next year, much to the dismay of the bishopric, the YW made sure they went way over budget on girls camp....

While it may seem petty, the need for equality is anything but petty.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:I know of an adjacent ward whose young men went on a fabulous adventure, and went way over budget doing so. All the organizations were told to tighten their belts that year in response. The next year, much to the dismay of the bishopric, the YW made sure they went way over budget on girls camp....

While it may seem petty, the need for equality is anything but petty.
Oh, I see a different lesson - I suspect what the YW saw was there was little penalty for going over budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

4ward4ever wrote:our initial idea is for individuals in the ward, who are willing and able, provide work opportunities for the youth. They would not pay the youth in cash, but would donate the value of their service to an "Other" account in their name.
While I can understand the benefits of doing it that way, my concern is that it could put the church in a position of being a temporary employment agency with all the rules, regulations and taxes that go along with that. Also, what happens if someone gets hurt?

While the individual transactions might not meet the threshold of action, taken collectively (by paying the church directly) they might attract attention from the regulators.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Eight hundred dollars per boy? You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

wcooke wrote:Eight hundred dollars per boy? You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds about right. Philmont trips from Ohio cost about $1,200 when you include travel.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wcooke wrote:Eight hundred dollars per boy? You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds right for Philmont. The regular week-long summer camps in our Scout council are running $350 or more per boy.
stevenKeck

Re: Best Fundraising Ideas

Post by stevenKeck »

reji posted, "The church has also repeatedly counseled members not to have garage or yard sales, but to donate those items to DI. So again, a youth garage sale violates even more counsel.

There's only one way to avoid violating various financial, fundraising, and budget counsel from Salt Lake--don't have fundraisers."

Actually, that is a narrow view. A properly initiated fund raiser hits the following points:
  • Promotes the Strength of Youth's self reliance.
  • Builds ownership and interest in the program.
  • Builds self confidence in the youth.
  • Overcome hesitancy to approach strangers, prep for missionary contacting.
  • Can fund activities that require the youth to plan, prepare and execute on a weekly and monthly basis.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

stevenKeck wrote:reji posted, "The church has also repeatedly counseled members not to have garage or yard sales, but to donate those items to DI.
They have? I've been a member all my life and have never heard this counsel.
davesudweeks

Re:

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
4ward4ever wrote:our initial idea is for individuals in the ward, who are willing and able, provide work opportunities for the youth. They would not pay the youth in cash, but would donate the value of their service to an "Other" account in their name.
While I can understand the benefits of doing it that way, my concern is that it could put the church in a position of being a temporary employment agency with all the rules, regulations and taxes that go along with that. Also, what happens if someone gets hurt?

While the individual transactions might not meet the threshold of action, taken collectively (by paying the church directly) they might attract attention from the regulators.
:-P - I didn't say I personally agreed with our ward's direction. I expressed similar concerns during Bishopric meeting but it is the method the Bishop wanted to use...
kristaday

Post by kristaday »

While I appreciate everyone trying to fundraise while sticking close to the handbook-- it sure would be nice to get BACK ON TOPIC and SHARE fundraising ideas. To each ward, his own--fund raise with your Bishop's approval. Can we please have some idea sharing? We currently live in a ward that has financial hardship sending scouts to camp and would love some ideas on fundraising.

Return to “General Discussions”