Best Fundraising Ideas

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
pwilson

Best Fundraising Ideas

Post by pwilson »

I thought it would be interesting to hear about what other wards have done for successful fundraising when it is needed. One thing we have done previously have been a "YW Garage Sale" where members save up items they would have given to goodwill and instead donate them to the YW to hold a 2-day garage sale to raise funds.

Any other great ideas for generating good fundraising dollar's for camp needs?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Something popular here in Utah, where ward boundaries are rather close, is to canvas the neighborhood each year and ask for a small donation to post an American flag on their property during special holidays. I think our ward's youth ask for a minimum of $25 per participating house. The first couple of years will not make as much because of the investment in flags and PVC poles, but the years after that are quite profitable. Each year we usually get between 75 and 100 homes participating. (You do the math. ;) )
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

Fundraisers are generally not approved. Fundraisers are an unauthorized slush fund for ward to finance unnecessary, expensive activities. Wards can fund all needed activities from the budget allowance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rexgj wrote:Fundraisers are generally not approved. Fundraisers are an unauthorized slush fund for ward to finance unnecessary, expensive activities. Wards can fund all needed activities from the budget allowance.
This is generally true. There is an exception in the Handbook for an annual Young Men or Young Women camp. Fundraising is the third option, when the first two have been exhausted.

But following the guidelines, fundraising is still an option for those wards that cannot fund all of the annual camp from the budget allowance.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

Door to door soliciting for fundraising is not approved.
Fundraisers generally are not approved.
Fundraisers are the third option after 1) using the budget allowance funds, 2) having the youth earn their own money.

Fundraisers violate the "activities should have little or no expense" clause that appears repeatedly in the handbook.

The "new budget allowance" initiated in 2004 provides more money to wards than most of them ever made through fundraisers, and it was intended to eliminate the need for fundraisers.
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

Before a fundraiser is approved by the bishop or stake president, the first two options (budget allowance, and individually earning the money) should be exhausted (option two is completely ignored in the church). The handbook states clearly that "fundraisers generally are not approved." This gives the clear message that fundraisers should basically not be considered.

Any funds deposited into the "Other" account must have a specific purpose, and be paid out for that specific purpose--this also is mostly violated in wards who have fundraisers. The popular "flag fundraiser" is an example of what a fundraiser should not be, and annual, ongoing, every year fundraiser that has no specific purpose attached to it, and is used to extravagant "fun" trips for youth like BYU football games, chartered trips to historical sites, and very expensive venturer activities like a week at Lake Powell water skiing (no priesthood purpose whatsoever).
rexgj

Post by rexgj »

The church has also repeatedly counseled members not to have garage or yard sales, but to donate those items to DI. So again, a youth garage sale violates even more counsel.

There's only one way to avoid violating various financial, fundraising, and budget counsel from Salt Lake--don't have fundraisers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rexgj wrote:Door to door soliciting for fundraising is not approved.
Fundraisers generally are not approved.
Fundraisers are the third option after 1) using the budget allowance funds, 2) having the youth earn their own money.
Although the above are some good points, a couple of the later statements are stronger than actual policy.
rexgj wrote:Fundraisers violate the "activities should have little or no expense" clause that appears repeatedly in the handbook.
Obviously, it can't be true that "Fundraisers violate the 'activities should have little or no expense' clause that appears repeatedly in the handbook," if the handbook itself devotes quite a bit of space to detailing the policy for appropriate fund-raising activities.

However, I would agree that it could be true that a ward's use of fund-raising activities might be an indication that their activities are more expensive than is really necessary. Wards should carefully examine their use of fundraising in light of the relevant policies.
rexgj wrote:The "new budget allowance" initiated in 2004 provides more money to wards than most of them ever made through fundraisers, and it was intended to eliminate the need for fundraisers.
The statement from the April 2004 letter was:
The increase in the local unit budget allowance is intended to fund activities more effectively and to relieve the financial burden on families. With this increase, fundraising activities should be substantially reduced or eliminated.
Note that "substantially reduced" is part of the statement, so the blanket statement that "it was intended to eliminate the need for fundraisers" goes too far.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the data for your statement that the additional funds provided starting in 2004 exceeded the amounts raised by fund-raising activities. When that letter came out, every single ward in my stake that was doing fundraising brought in more money from fundraising than the increase in youth budget allowances. I'll grant that my data is limited, but it does make me question the validity of your claim.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I am going to add to and even emphasize what Alan has written.

Please be careful in making statements that go beyond actual Church policy and making statements indicating behaviors of all Church units and membership when those statements have no source other than rumor or observation of only a few situations.
rexgj wrote:Fundraisers generally are not approved.
This goes beyond the wording and intent of the CHI. The actual wording is: "Fund-raising activities are not normally approved because ...". It then goes into explaining the exceptions and the guidelines to be followed when the fund raising activity is permitted and then held.
rexgj wrote:Fundraisers violate the "activities should have little or no expense" clause that appears repeatedly in the handbook.
When properly planned and the guidance followed in the CHI this will not be the case. Fund-raisers in of themselves do not violate your quoted clause. Only those activities that have not been properly planned and the guidance provided in the CHI not followed can this become an issue.
rexgj wrote:Before a fundraiser is approved by the bishop or stake president, the first two options (budget allowance, and individually earning the money) should be exhausted (option two is completely ignored in the church).
Please do not project the actions of a few onto the rest of the Church who diligently strive to provide meaningful activities within the guidance established by the Church. Every stake I have belonged to, including my current stake, has gone to great lengths to ensure Church guidance and proper procedure is followed regarding fund-raisers. We follow the priority of funding annual camps established by the Church which is 1) local budget, 2) the individual, and 3) fund-raisers.
rexgj wrote:The handbook states clearly that "fundraisers generally are not approved." This gives the clear message that fundraisers should basically not be considered.
When the guidance provided in the CHI is followed fund-raisers are most certainly authorized. I can find no "message" or intent similar to what you claim when I read the CHI.
rexgj wrote:Any funds deposited into the "Other" account must have a specific purpose, and be paid out for that specific purpose--this also is mostly violated in wards who have fundraisers.
I am certain the last part of your statement can not be verified. This is an emotional and reckless claim. This is an insult to those who diligently adhere to established procedures and those who audit those records to ensure Church policies and procedures are followed.
rexgj wrote:There's only one way to avoid violating various financial, fundraising, and budget counsel from Salt Lake--don't have fundraisers.
The best way to avoid the problems mentioned is to follow the Church guidance and procedures established. When questions regarding that guidance arise, consult your local leaders. They have access to the appropriate instructions from the Church and can get resolution to issues that appear to be unique.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

rexgj wrote:Any funds deposited into the "Other" account must have a specific purpose, and be paid out for that specific purpose--this also is mostly violated in wards who have fundraisers. The popular "flag fundraiser" is an example of what a fundraiser should not be, and annual, ongoing, every year fundraiser that has no specific purpose attached to it, and is used to extravagant "fun" trips for youth like BYU football games, chartered trips to historical sites, and very expensive venturer activities like a week at Lake Powell water skiing (no priesthood purpose whatsoever).
I take exception to your remarks. Being the finance clerk, I can tell you exactly what the specific purpose of these funds in our unit are, a SINGLE youth summer camp. Have you priced a BSA camp recently? You're looking at about $150 per each youth and leader attending. Oh, you want to eat too? Add another $70 per person. With around 15 deacon-age boys and several leaders involved, this gets very pricey very fast. Is an organized BSA sponsored summer camp really needed? From my Scout Master experience, I've tried it both ways and I strongly believe a BSA camp helps tremendously in the first 2 or 3 years of scouting. After that, I think the need tapers off.

There are other camps and expenses during the year that the budget funds help to cover. Again, are you aware of the price of just badges and awards for a large scout troop with a strong emphasis on advancement? It's a real eye-opener!

The decision to run an annual fund-raiser in our ward is supported by our bishop and stake presidency. If they ever decide to eliminate or change the fund-raiser I would equally support that decision. I have a lot of trust in these men and regularly raise my hand to sustain them.

As far as "option #2", I will not comment on the ability or inability for families with youth in our unit to shoulder the expense. IMO, that's between the family and the Bishop. Besides, several users here know which unit I'm from and I would not want to reveal things I shouldn't.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”