Book writing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
neamarie

Book writing

Post by neamarie »

I have written a book that references a Bible scripture and a matching Book of Mormon scripture in a daily reader format. Do I need permission to publish it? And what do I need to do to get that permission?

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Book writing

Post by russellhltn »

I'm pretty sure you do. But you can check at permissions.lds.org
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

neamarie wrote:I have written a book that references a Bible scripture and a matching Book of Mormon scripture in a daily reader format.
You will want to check to make sure, but I do not believe the actual Book of Mormon scripture verses are under copyright. The chapter headers, footnotes, Bible Dictionary, and Topical Guide information, etc., is under copyright, however.

The link in the previous post is the place to go for an answer.
jacobfolkman

Post by jacobfolkman »

No, you do not need legal permission to cite a source when writing a book. You can even include lengthy quotes as part of your argument. It's all part of "fair use" doctrine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobfolkman wrote:No, you do not need legal permission to cite a source when writing a book. You can even include lengthy quotes as part of your argument. It's all part of "fair use" doctrine.
I'd it's just a reference then I think you're correct - but if he's including the scripture, then he'd have to check with whoever holds the copyright on it. I'm not sure of the copyright status on the BOM.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”