Ensign Magazine Podcast

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jbauserman

Ensign Magazine Podcast

Post by jbauserman »

For years I had no problem downloading the Ensign and New Era Magazine podcasts so that I could listen on my drives or runs. Apparently this year something has changed. I have tried multiple podcasts apps but none of them appear able to download December. It shows Oct as the latest - though in October - it was not available either. Is there anyway to get the Ensign audio in the actual month of the publication?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Ensign Magazine Podcast

Post by rmrichesjr »

At lds.org, I don't see audio for January, 2018, but I do see audio available for October through December, 2017. Hopefully, that is of some help. It may take a bit more moving of files and such to download it via a browser and transfer it to your audio device, but it looks like it is possible.
jbauserman

Post by jbauserman »

I can certainly do that - it is just much more cumbersome than how it has worked in previous years. The church usually moves forward in technology and not backwards - so this problem (which I have had all year) really surprises me. I thought maybe they were making it available somewhere I didn't know about - but it doesn't sound like it.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jbauserman wrote:... I thought maybe they were making it available somewhere I didn't know about - but it doesn't sound like it.
Please don't take my lack of knowledge of availability of something as evidence that it does not exist. There are a lot more things I don't know about than things I do know about.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The Church does also try to avoid duplication of effort. The team responsible for publishing audio might have looked at the number of members downloading Church audio via podcasts, compared it to the number of people accessing audio through other channels (LDS.org, Mormon Channel, Gospel Library, LDS Media Library) and decided to shift their efforts on improving delivery to the more common channels. I imagine that podcasts are more difficult than other content channels to keep up to date, too, since all the uploading and organizing is a manual process through Apple's website.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jbauserman

Post by jbauserman »

Well - the ENSIGN is not available on Mormon Channel and it is not available on LDS Media Library. It is available on Gospel Library - but it will only play one article and then stop (which makes it a hazard when driving.) So that puts us back to downloading the files from lds.org and finding a way to copy them over to my phone - which is where I was several years ago. So I am sticking with my original assessment - the church usually does not go backward in technology. I think this is an oversight.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbauserman wrote:the church usually does not go backward in technology.
The operative word being "usually". There have been a number of technical projects that have been withdrawn: Newsletters, Lesson Schedule, and the Windows version of LDS Tools. All of them due to low usage.

This is primarily a user-to-user forum. We don't have any contact (that I know of) with anyone who can tell us.

You might have better luck asking in the Gospel Library section on how to play the whole magazine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

What I do on my Windows 10 laptop and Windows 10 Mobile phone is use a Windows Store app called " Podcast + UWP or Podcast + Pro" (Same Program on different devices) . and then locate the "The Ensign | AAC | English Podcast (looks to be from the church (noted as the author) and download the latest "Audiobook" of the latest Ensign Magazine" Have not found a very basic Podcast app for my android or iOS devices that I like, to try it on either of these devices.

just found "The New Era |AAC | audio book/podcast that same way.
dkristensen

Post by dkristensen »

I have the same issue. I am using iCatcher! on iOS for my podcasts and found that the feed stopped updating in October. I don't have time to download manually. The LDS.ORG website has a different link than my podcast: http://feeds.lds.org/ensign I changed to this one in my App and I now have November, December and January. I is one long file for the entire magazine instead of individual articles, but better than nothing!

Best wishes!

Return to “General Discussions”