Windows updates

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mslarson-p40
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:50 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Windows updates

Postby mslarson-p40 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:10 am

We have high speed on all the clerk computers in the stake, should we be installing MS Windows updates? One would be the daylight savings patch. SLC has always said we shouldn't manually change the time or it will mess up MLS, should we be installing the daylight savings patch?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20723
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:52 am

In the old Desktop 5.5 Instructions, it was indicated that the church would manage the security patches. However, there is no indication that they are doing any Windows patches.

Because of security concerns, some Stake Technology Specialists have taken the initiative to install patches themselves. So far there are no reports of it causing problems with MLS or other software. It does seem to cause a few quirks with the operation of Internet Explorer.

As for installing the Daylight Savings Time patch, you're probably on safe ground there.

As for changing the time and MLS - do not change the time when MLS is running. When you set the time back, you will not be able to run MLS until the time has gone beyond when MLS was last shut down. For example, if the last time you shut down MLS was at 10:30AM, but the computer clock said 11:30AM, you will have to wait until 11:30AM before MLS will allow you to run again. For this reason, it's best to adjust the time either the first thing after booting the computer for the day or the last thing before going home.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
jeromer7
Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska

Postby jeromer7 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 pm

RussellHltn wrote:It does seem to cause a few quirks with the operation of Internet Explorer.

I have turned on Auto Updates on the Internet connected PCs in my stake and after a flurry of 4 year's worth of updates in multiple waves, they are current and running fine. I installed IE7 and had issues with security settings. I uninstaled that and the system automatically fell back to IE6. IE6 runs with no evident problems.
JLR

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:16 pm

JLRose wrote:I installed IE7 and had issues with security settings. I uninstalled that and the system automatically fell back to IE6. IE6 runs with no evident problems.

As does the latest version of Firefox. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

cvacanti-p40
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Omaha, NE, USA
Contact:

afaria

Postby cvacanti-p40 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:36 pm

At one time the church managed updates through the afaria channels...is that no longer in practise? it would seem to me that would be the best option and for the church to ensure the updates were installed.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Sun May 17, 2009 10:16 pm

cvacanti wrote:At one time the church managed updates through the afaria channels...is that no longer in practise? it would seem to me that would be the best option and for the church to ensure the updates were installed.

That may have been the plan at one time, but I'm not sure it was ever implemented except for MLS updates. As far as I know, no OS or AV updates have ever come down that pipeline. I think it would have been pretty rough to try and drag down something like SP3 for XP over dialup lines. :eek:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

cvacanti-p40
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Omaha, NE, USA
Contact:

Postby cvacanti-p40 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:03 am

The company I work for uses afaria to push out these kind of updates...it's design is for slow connections and does it very well. Probably doesn't matter these days with high speed internet. But I am interested in what the Church uses for systems management or asset tracking.

zwhitr-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:29 am
Location: NC

Postby zwhitr-p40 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:01 pm

cvacanti wrote:The company I work for uses afaria to push out these kind of updates...it's design is for slow connections and does it very well. Probably doesn't matter these days with high speed internet. But I am interested in what the Church uses for systems management or asset tracking.



I have a somewhat related question what about AV updates. The antivirus clients are not updating I have to manually download and install. Why have a parent server on Symantec if it is not pushing updates or even the ability to use live update. Anybody else have these issues?

PS. The latest symantec defs triggered false positives on the Lan desk apps.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Tue May 26, 2009 8:13 pm

zwhitr wrote:I have a somewhat related question what about AV updates. The antivirus clients are not updating I have to manually download and install. Why have a parent server on Symantec if it is not pushing updates or even the ability to use live update. Anybody else have these issues?

PS. The latest symantec defs triggered false positives on the Lan desk apps.

This issue has been discussed at length in this thread:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1074
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20723
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 pm

zwhitr wrote:PS. The latest symantec defs triggered false positives on the Lan desk apps.


Recent ones have been a problem, but the ones from the last few days should be fine. This was most noticeable in the FHC since they update automatically every few days if not every day.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: johnshaw and 1 guest