Displaying Pictures

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
farwest

Displaying Pictures

Post by farwest »

Trying to find information about displaying a picture from YW camp that shows all the yw & leaders sitting in an amphitheater. This would be displayed in a church owned office. I've found information on displaying on the web but not in a church owned building. I was told by one leader that I had to get permission from all that were there. Good luck on trying to do that. Does anyone know what you can do and not?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Displaying Pictures

Post by russellhltn »

I'm unaware of any restrictions that would apply in that setting. A quick search of the Handbook for the word "Photo" or "photograph" only turns up restrictions on taking photos - mostly in chapels or of ordinances.

I think I'd go back and ask that leader for the source of their information. I suspect they're mis-remembering the rules for publishing photos on the web.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Copyright laws apply which means you must have permission from the person who took the photo. But I'm not aware of any church policies concerning people in the photo. There could be issues concerning rights of publicity for something that is published. I doubt those apply but I'm not a lawyer and I couldn't say exactly what those are and when they would apply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:But I'm not aware of any church policies concerning people in the photo.
If we're talking about web pages (which usually considered "publishing") see item #6 of internet.lds.org. But I can't see that applying to a photo in a church office.

I think most likely the leader is misapplying the directive given in the link above.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:But I'm not aware of any church policies concerning people in the photo.
If we're talking about web pages (which usually considered "publishing") see item #6 of internet.lds.org. But I can't see that applying to a photo in a church office.
Sorry. Yes, I was talking about this context. I should have been clearer.
farwest

Post by farwest »

Thanks for the replies. I was told to get permission from the stake yw president. She said that some of the mother's may not want their daughter pictured in a photo displayed in a church office. I thought that odd as the yw post lots of pictures across several social media platforms already.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:

I think most likely the leader is misapplying the directive given in the link above.
While the context above is under a section around social media, the same requirement exists for sending photos in for Annual Histories, as the 'contexts' expand it appears approvals are required in cases I've found. I believe, for safety reasons, that we use caution when displaying and/or sharing photos of individuals. I'd take what the Stake YW leader says at face value, many families are still cautious with how their images are used.

In my former stake we used the form when signing up for any activities we were going to use for the History and for display on youtube, etc... Youth Conferences, YW Camps, Scout Camps/High Adventures, etc...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:the same requirement exists for sending photos in for Annual Histories,
I'd guess that's to allow the submitted photos to be published at a later date.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

johnshaw wrote:the same requirement exists for sending photos in for Annual Histories
Do you have a reference on that? We just had a training in our stake based on training given to the stake. They said that permission from those in the photos is not required for annual histories--only permission from the person who took the picture (the copyright holder). I can't find anything in the Annual History Instructions otherwise except that consent is needed from any non-member if either their personal information or a photograph of them is used.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Oh that is a good point, and, admittedly I'm working on data from a few years ago. The activity we performed limited our need to do this after-the-fact so I guess you do what you think best, unless this picture has so many people that it makes the back-tracking and getting permission a big deal, you might just consider following the counsel of the Stake YW leader as the most appropriate thing.

Then work on making the process something that is pro-active rather than re-active.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “General Discussions”