Just need to Teleconference

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
BarryHill

Just need to Teleconference

Post by BarryHill »

I am trying to set up a teleconference for all stake Temple & Family History Consultants and High Priest Group Leaders.

I am aware of PVC.LDS.org which we have used for video conferencing stake presidency meetings. I just think that PVC might eliminate some due to complexity or equipment. At this point, I prefer increased attendance rather than video capability,

Is there some available simple solution I do not know about since I have never initiated a conference call?

Thanks for any solutions

Barry
johnshaw

Re: Just need to Teleconference

Post by johnshaw »

PVC can be used to just do a phone-type conference - I don't have access anymore but I know we've used it this way in the past...

There is also an audio conference available you can check it out here:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... g?lang=eng
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

With the church literally being shut down, are there any teleconference options that may be preferred? Mostly to have stake presidency and high council meetings. I have heard of "facebook zoom" and something called "zoom cloud meetings", but haven't had any experience with any.
skiddlyarcus

Post by skiddlyarcus »

Just adding this for future reference.
On April 16 2020 the church sent a notice about google meet being available for some church callings.

[quote]Local leaders should also counsel with their priesthood leaders to determine appropriate use of any videoconferencing technology for Church meetings.

If other free options are still insufficient, local leaders can request access through the Church to a free Google G Suite account that will allow them to host meetings with the Google Meet conferencing tool. Please note that Google Meet requires a G Suite account that is separate from the Gmail account the leader may already have, and it will require an understanding of how to switch between Google accounts. It is also important to understand that Google Meet is a different, more advanced service than the “classic” Hangouts service that is available directly to any consumer Gmail user. Although the Church enables setup of the new account, it does not provide ongoing support for G Suite or Google Meet. Instead, the leader would need to rely on Google’s public help resources.

Google Meet has no time limit on meetings and provides dial-in options. Only the person hosting the meeting needs a Google account.

Local leaders who understand these limitations and still wish to request an account to host their own meetings may visit [link removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Phone number removed - this is a public forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Please note, this is a public forum and the letter was intended for specific leaders in the church. Consequentially, the link was removed.

Since then, Google has made meet public for free for all. So, I'm not sure as this is needed anymore.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jakerose

Post by jakerose »

You could also check out the www.webex.com free plan. More features then meet.google.com and no time limits. Did pictionary with the deacons for mutual on the white board app in addition to meetings.

Return to “General Discussions”