Question About Sitting with Family/congregation After Blessing/Passing the Sacrament

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
elderliyinkan

Question About Sitting with Family/congregation After Blessing/Passing the Sacrament

Post by elderliyinkan »

I am not a ward clerk, but an elders quorum president of a local ward in Hong Kong. The question I want to ask is can priesthood holders sit with their family/congregation after administrating the sacrament? Or if there is any church policy that requires them to be remained at the appointed seat?

Here's the situation: The ward that I belong to is lacking Aaronic priesthood holders, so basically all the priesthood holders who administrate the sacrament are either Elder or High Priest. And most of them have their own family (including young children).

Please let me know what's the latest church policy (with reference would be most appreciate) about that because I heard different opinions in the last PEC.

Thank you so much!!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Question About Sitting with Family/congregation After Blessing/Passing the Sacrament

Post by sbradshaw »

In all the wards I've been in (as far as I can remember), it's standard practice for the people passing the sacrament to sit with their families after the sacrament finishes. I don't think there's a policy one way or the other, though.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Question About Sitting with Family/congregation After Blessing/Passing the Sacrament

Post by lajackson »

elderliyinkan wrote:The question I want to ask is can priesthood holders sit with their family/congregation after administrating the sacrament? Or if there is any church policy that requires them to be remained at the appointed seat?
Handbook 2, 20.4.3 says that after the deacons or other priesthood holders have returned to the sacrament table after having passed the water to the congregation, they wait for the officiators to cover the trays, then reverently take their seats. The Handbook does not specify which seats.

I have lived in wards where those who officiated and passed the sacrament remained in place during the meeting. I have also lived in many wards where those who passed the sacrament returned to their families, and in other wards where those who officiated also sat with their families after the ordinance was completed.

I think the bishop, who normally presides and is responsible for the meeting, including reverence, may determine what is best for his ward. I also know that in wards where those who administered the sacrament remained in place, any father who was needed to help his family was expected to reverently leave and do so.

But I do not believe there is anything in writing, other than that they "reverently take their seats", that provides further direction.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When we moved into our current location in 1999, it was practice in our Stake to have the Aaronic Priesthood "remain at their post" through the entire meeting. I was soon called on the high council and learned the reason why, which was a specific decision for a specific purpose by the then stake president for all the wards in his stake. Fast forward a couple of Stake Presidents and we now have the Aaronic Priesthood sit in place after the sacrament, then the conducting officer stands and invites them to go sit with their families before announcing the speakers. I have seen many wards where they just leave without being invited after the Sacrament cloth is in place.

I believe this is under the bishop's responsibility, perhaps consulting with the stake president if he feels the need.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

One visiting authority instructed our former stake presidency that the priesthood should be dismissed from their posts, but not thanked for their service, because it was their priesthood responsibility. Now that we have a new stake presidency, we no longer hear that counsel.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
elderliyinkan

Post by elderliyinkan »

drepouille wrote:One visiting authority instructed our former stake presidency that the priesthood should be dismissed from their posts, but not thanked for their service, because it was their priesthood responsibility. Now that we have a new stake presidency, we no longer hear that counsel.
When I was in the married ward in BYUH, I heard of the exact instruction.

And thanks for all your information!
Rictersmith

Post by Rictersmith »

drepouille wrote:One visiting authority instructed our former stake presidency that the priesthood should be dismissed from their posts, but not thanked for their service, because it was their priesthood responsibility. Now that we have a new stake presidency, we no longer hear that counsel.
I'm not sure an instruction not to show gratitude towards the service others gives is exactly in line with what the gospel teachers or encouraging an attitude of gratitude. One thought that quickly would come to mind is a conflict would be when one Apostle speaks at General Conference and then thanks the prophet for wise counsel. It could be argued that giving wise counsel is his own priesthood responsibility. Since I have not found a designation in the handbook to refrain from thanking anyone for fulfilling a responsibility, my assumption is this is probably more a propagated opinion and preference that often works it's way into 'mormon culture'. Another example comes to mind would be when a member of the bishopric or stake releases someone from their calling. Do we not show by a raise of the hand our gratitude in thanking them for their service?

To the initial question. I've never seen the Aaronic Priesthood forced to remain seating in the same area, but have always seen them be excused by the person conducting the meeting to join their families.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In my current ward, we just go back to our seats in the congregation after all the trays are back on the table and the cloth is folded over – no need for anything to be said at all. But if something is said, I agree with Rictersmith, that gratitude is appropriate and, if given sincerely, can provide strengthening validation for the deacons and priests. If it's just a rote habit to "thank the priesthood," without any meaning, you may as well not say anything at all. Of course, your current priesthood leaders have the final voice on what should be done in your ward.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
hicksfamily23

Post by hicksfamily23 »

In a previous Stake, we were Counciled to not thank and release those passing the sacrament to sit with their families. The guidance was that we don’t thank others who perform priesthood ordinances During sacrament meetings, ie. Baby blessings, bestowal of the Holy Ghost. After the completion of the ordinance all Priesthood holders participating took their seats again at/near the sacrament table then without prompting, stood and went to sit with their families.
Rictersmith

Post by Rictersmith »

hicksfamily23 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:32 pm In a previous Stake, we were Counciled to not thank and release those passing the sacrament to sit with their families. The guidance was that we don’t thank others who perform priesthood ordinances During sacrament meetings, i.e. Baby blessings, bestowal of the Holy Ghost. After the completion of the ordinance all Priesthood holders participating took their seats again at/near the sacrament table then without prompting, stood and went to sit with their families.
I would slightly disagree, here is why. When a baby is blessed, the baby is receiving the ordinance. The baby cannot talk, but I bet the father and mother discuss their gratitude and thank those that participated.

When the Holy Ghost is bestowed, the person receiving the ordinance often gets up and shakes the hand of each person in the circle as a sign of thanks.

When I give a priesthood blessing, the person I am doing it for often says thanks.

When I was sealed, I thanked the sealer for performing the ordinance. When I was ordained an Elder, I thanked those in the circle. When I have been set apart in any calling, I have also expressed thanks to those who prepared themselves to set me apart and listen to the Spirit while also giving me a blessing.

The Aaronic Priesthood (or whomever else is asked to help pass the sacrament) is doing so and the entire ward is the recipient. When I personally take the sacrament, I thank the person as they walk by or to whomever is passing it to me. The Bishopric can easily be the single voice for the ward and express thanks. While I think the failure to recognize how we express thanks in other forms, such as those I listed, is probably a simple oversight that is easily recognized once pointed out.

I would suggest that we maybe encourage others to give gratitude and maybe seek a little repentance for failures in doing so.

Return to “General Discussions”