Satellite Dish Security

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

rmrichesjr wrote:What was the status LED on the receiver doing? What kind of Eb/No stats are you getting?
The translation table for the status LED blink codes is available at Wegener's website. The URL has probably been posted to the forum, but search isn't working for me today.
It's orange, 5 blinks. No clue what a Eb/No is or where to find out. The Wegener manual shows that's for "RF Level Low".
rmrichesjr wrote:My experience with digital satellite broadcast (and digital TV) is that when the signal gets poor, it will drop out and hang sporadically. Fuzziness, too much color, and interference lines may indicate other problems that could be fixed inside the building. I'd give the STS a call--or Church headquarters if you are the STS.
No hangs. I am the STS. Where do I call at Church HQ? Shouldn't I just call the FM group and have them send the vendor out?
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

avskip wrote:Where do I call at Church HQ? Shouldn't I just call the FM group and have them send the vendor out?
I have never called with problems, but the instructions for the satellite from our FM Manager is that I am to use the telephone in the satellite cabinet or call an 800 number whenever there are problems. I don't know what that number is right now.

But it wouldn't hurt to contact your FM Group to start the maintenance ball rolling.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rmrichesjr wrote:What was the status LED on the receiver doing? What kind of Eb/No stats are you getting?
The translation table for the status LED blink codes is available at Wegener's website. The URL has probably been posted to the forum, but search isn't working for me today.

I think you're referring to this helpful post (made by you back in October 2008).
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

avskip wrote:I do know that the picture last night on the YM broadcast was fuzzy and way too much color.
You mean the YW broadcast
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

kd7mha wrote:You mean the YW broadcast
OOps! That was a typo! Yes, I meant the YW broadcast. The only men were the Stake Presidents and myself. :o Getting tired lately.

Tried to go back to fix that post, but editing is no longer an option on it for some reason.
Lancaster CA.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

avskip wrote:It's orange, 5 blinks. No clue what a Eb/No is or where to find out. The Wegener manual shows that's for "RF Level Low".

No hangs. I am the STS. Where do I call at Church HQ? Shouldn't I just call the FM group and have them send the vendor out?
Good you have the Wegener manual. Page 15 shows how to get at the Eb/No and other stuff. To see Eb/No, press either button to bring up the main menu. (Don't do this during a broadcast, because it takes over the visual output to show the data.)

Press select if needed to highlight "Carrier Status". Then, press Enter to go there. Toward the button of the page, you will see average and current Eb/No. I think it's about 8-10 dB that you want to get a good picture. To exit the menus, press select to highlight "Return to ..." or "Exit" and Enter to go there.

For technical help, call the 800 number on your paperwork. If you don't have that number, email me and I'll give it to you off-forum. They will want you to be sitting at the receiver with the property number and receiver serial number.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

rmrichesjr wrote:Good you have the Wegener manual. Page 15 shows how to get at the Eb/No and other stuff. To see Eb/No, press either button to bring up the main menu. (Don't do this during a broadcast, because it takes over the visual output to show the data.)
I'll give this a try next time I'm over there.

By the way, for those wondering what Eb/No is, here's a short definition I found:

Eb/No is the measure of signal to noise ratio for a digital communication system. It is measured at the input to the receiver and is used as the basic measure of how strong the signal is.

Thanks!
Lancaster CA.

Return to “General Discussions”