Electronic Church Program

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lmstahle94

Electronic Church Program

Postby lmstahle94 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am

Has anyone found a great way to make the church program electronic? I was in a ward that emailed it. What else have you guys used or seen?

sbradshaw

Re: Electronic Church Program

Postby sbradshaw » Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 pm

I've seen several ideas bounced around on the forum here, but none that have stuck. There are three main ways it could be distributed:
1. Distribute to all ward members (email, text, social media).
2. Distribute to anyone who walks in the building (QR code, near-field communication, screen at the front that shows the order of speakers).
3. Make it publicly available at a link (ward web site, ward app).

Some of the problems that have come up are:
– If the program contains people's names (or even contact info or birthdays, which it shouldn't), you have to control access somehow; otherwise, you have to make it very generic.
– In most wards (YSA wards could be an exception) there are some who prefer not to use technology, but want a physical program to hold onto.
– There's probably someone in your ward who doesn't have access to a smart phone or the internet.
– You can't expect as many people to use a digital program as would a physical program, because it's not handed to them – so you can no longer rely on it exclusively for anything important.
– It has to be maintainable for anyone new who receives the responsibility for programs.
– The purpose of a program is to make sacrament meeting feel special (like a program at a graduation or a concert), and digital programs would lose this benefit. But not all wards use programs anyway (it's not mandated by the Handbook) so this may not apply.

If you're in a position to experiment, I'd love to hear what you come up with and how it works!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”