Obtaining marriage certificate

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Daley.r

Obtaining marriage certificate

Postby Daley.r » Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 pm

I am trying to get a hold of my parent's marriage certificate, my brother's and I are applying for our British passports but we need that as part of our application, how does one go about requesting that paperwork through the church. I know they were married in Denmark, but they did their LDS marriage in Switzerland. I appreciate your assistance very much. Cheers!

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Postby russellhltn » Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Daley.r wrote:I am trying to get a hold of my parent's marriage certificate

I'm not sure how it works in Europe, but I'd think the certificate you need has to come from the government, not the church.

At least in the US, the church does not issue certificates. The state gives the church leaders the authority to act as a government official as far as performing a marriage. The leaders sign the appropriate state paperwork and the certificate is from the state. Since passports are a government function, I'm sure they're going to want the appropriate legal paperwork.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

sbradshaw

Re: Obtaining marriage certificate

Postby sbradshaw » Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 pm

You will need to get their marriage certificate from the government in Denmark where they were married according to the government.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”