Audio Scriptures Played from Google Home

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
brettbristow22

Audio Scriptures Played from Google Home

Postby brettbristow22 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:04 am

With the recent launch of the Google Home voice activated speaker it and Amazon's Echo with Alexa have become very popular. Once wish that I have for these devices is to have it read the scriptures to me. Currently this is not available on the Google Home but only has abilities to pull up a scripture of the day from a bible services. The Bible App is currently supported on the Echo and offers the exact functionality I hope to have through the Google Home from the Gospel Library one day. Here is a link to their application. I am not sure of the amount of work this would take but I know that many that use the Google Home, especially those this accessibility needs would greatly benefit from this being an option.

I would love to know what everyone else things and what the possibilities would be.

Thank you!

mistryous

Re: Audio Scriptures Played from Google Home

Postby mistryous » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:08 pm

With Alexa even in the Dash Wand you can ask it to read from a specific list of verses for a day. The author of the Alexa skill has provided further interactions or "skills" for each of the Standard Works and General Conference. To begin, here is the one for the Book of Mormon: https://www.amazon.com/Read-Book-Mormon-This-Year/dp/B01MXUKDFJ

I hope I or someone else gets to the point of adding the proper tags in the Gospel Library app for Android so Google Search/Assistant will be able to parse it by voice search. This seems close enough to get done and automatically will provide the service capability to get to the respective areas of the app. This may also then allow us to add the next skill to read back by just asking for a verse or more.

Return to “General Discussions”