Do You Listen to Podcasts?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.

Do you listen to podcasts?

No
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 37

McDanielCA

Do You Listen to Podcasts?

Post by McDanielCA »

How do you feel about podcasts? Please elaborate on how you use Podcasts. Do you listen to them regularly? If so, which ones? If not; why?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

McDanielCA wrote:How do you feel about podcasts? Please elaborate on how you use Podcasts. Do you listen to them regularly? If so, which ones? If not; why?
I don't listen to podcasts because I prefer to get my information in ways that I can quickly scan and find what is relevant (web pages, newspapers, magazines, books). Podcasts are linear and force me to gather information at the pace determined by the podcast.

Note that I have no problem with a podcast as a delivery mechanism; it's more the type of content that doesn't fit my style. If I listened to the radio or audio from websites regularly, then a podcast would probably be a great delivery mechanism for that content.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I listen to talk radio quite a bit, as well as read content from blogs, and other web sources. When I miss a particular radio show, sometimes I will pick up their podcast version. For example, Bob Lonsberry is a weekday conservative talk radio host local to the Salt Lake area who offers a very nice "sermon" each Sunday morning on a variety of Mormon topics. Because some of his sermon overlaps Music and the Spoken Word, I'm sometimes torn on which to listen to. If I miss his, I will sometimes go back and pick it up in his pocast section.

I don't consider myself a podcast junkie, just a few here and there.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zarahemlite-p40

Post by zarahemlite-p40 »

McDanielCA wrote:How do you feel about podcasts? Please elaborate on how you use Podcasts. Do you listen to them regularly? If so, which ones? If not; why?
This sounds like the beginning of a LOOOONG interview...

I listen to podcasts often. My favorite is the feed called LDS Voices, one of the few things I can stream at work (for now). It's awesome hearing speeches from Spencer W. Kimball from the 50's at my gym club instead of the terrible music videos they play on the big screens. The portability is it's best feature.

I agree with the previous comment concerning news, however, more substantial things (feeling the spirit, study, etc.) take effort and time together, which a focus on a podcast provide.

-Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I agree with Alan. Podcast (or video) simply isn't the way I like to get information. Some training videos play back in Windows Media Player and I bump the speed up until I can stay awake.

However, it is a good entertainment medium. As long as I'm thinking symbolically, it doesn't interfere with my work. I listen to a couple of entertainment podcasts at work on the computer. If I had a long commute, I might use it to be productive during that time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gawing

Post by gawing »

I listen to a podcast every day at lunch as I go for a walk. However, I almost never listen to Church-related things. I find I have to be able to pay attention when I listen to Church things, and podcasts are just a way to help pass the time while I'm getting some exercise.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I listen to some podcasts (both audio and video). Some of them are regular radio or tv programs and since I use Google Reader a lot as my RSS reader then it fits in nice to have these there too as I can easy see when there is a new program to listen to.

I also make use of http://feed.scripturecast.net which I found a very useful site. Its a site where you can create your scripture reading schedule and the RSS link will have both link to the text and audio embedded. This idea I personally think has bigger potential.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Pod casts are a good idea, but I don't like to have to physically sync my iPhone with my computer that often. There are some alternatives to podcasting on the apps store. One that immediately comes to mind is the MPR Radio app (Minnesota Public Radio).

It would be nice if there was a similar BYU Radio app, and additionally some variation of this for on-demand streaming of audio content, like general conference addresses and general conference music. That would save the hassle of physically syncing to the computer to update the podcast.

I like the LDS content currently available via podcast, but would prefer and on-demand streaming version instead.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Thanks everyone!
drdisaster-p40

Video Podcast

Post by drdisaster-p40 »

Podcast/Video Podcast.

I am in my early 30's and use them all the time. It is nice to be able to listen/watch during the times that I can't read or surf. Such as when riding public transportation or on my commute rides on the train.
They are very useful as well in teaching environments with the youth. I was just recently released from the YM presidency in my ward and some of them had them on their ipods/players. I believe that the effectiveness of pod/videocast all depends on the generation.

p

Return to “General Discussions”