Add to Reputation Icon

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Russell remember that different people have different weights in your reputation so Person A can add 2 points up because he is a well established member but Person B and C can both take away a point because they are somewhat new.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

dragev wrote:I don't know if I'll remember to add/subtract from others' reputations as I read 1 week from now, because that's not why I visit the site. On the other had, this reputation system has the potential to help us locate quality posts (how I'm not sure), but somehow I doubt people are using the system, which mutes this point.

True that many people haven't used the system though it has come in handy in regulating some people. The other thing is that it will tell you if you have already added to someone's reputation for a post (so no double voting on the same post).
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Russell remember that different people have different weights in your reputation
Hmmm. That may be part of it, but I don't know where my negative rating has come from. I only see 3 (listed as "recent"). Two comments sound positive. One is blank. The post that had no comment didn't seem like anything that anyone would take offense to.

<shrug> Don't really matter to me, but in my case the math doesn't seem to work out. While I can understand not being able to see the people who gave me demerits, it would be nice to know what they didn't like.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Understandable, so as a note to everyone, if you do give a negative rating, please write an informative comment as to why.
- David
KathrynGZ

Reputation Points

Post by KathrynGZ »

dragev wrote:BTW Kathryn, you get reputation points from me :)
LOL! Well, in *that* case, I may have to rethink my position ;)
thedqs
Community Moderators

A little moe info about the rep system please

Post by thedqs »

I have noticed that whenever I receive a reputation mark it is always even, but when I give a reputation to someone I have to say if I am approving or disapproving of their post. I am just wondering if approving or disapproving does affect their reputation like the system was explained before.

Also, please place comments when giving a reputation adjustment, it helps the person receiving know what is was that was good or bad in their post.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:I have noticed that whenever I receive a reputation mark it is always even, but when I give a reputation to someone I have to say if I am approving or disapproving of their post. I am just wondering if approving or disapproving does affect their reputation like the system was explained before.

Also, please place comments when giving a reputation adjustment, it helps the person receiving know what is was that was good or bad in their post.
Yes, it shows various reputations from different individuals. By default anyone without any mods to their reputation count are set to 10 points.

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:By default anyone without any mods to their reputation count are set to 10 points.
Well, what I'm seeing is that I always have 10 points regardless of what I get. I'm not sure, but I think that's what thedqs is saying. When I mentioned this previously, it was brushed off as everyone canceling themselves out. Since then I've had one more entry and I'm still at 10.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Well, what I'm seeing is that I always have 10 points regardless of what I get. I'm not sure, but I think that's what thedqs is saying. When I mentioned this previously, it was brushed off as everyone canceling themselves out. Since then I've had one more entry and I'm still at 10.
Here is how reputation points work.
  1. Admins (me and others at the Church) affect your reputation currently at a power of 10 to regular users. So, if your reputation is currently set to 10 and I hit your reputation for the positive, it jumps to 20.
  2. Each X days your reputation count will increase by 1. Currently X is set to 365.
  3. Every X posts your reputation count will increase by 1. Currently X is set to 500.
  4. For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. X is currently set to 100.
  5. You must have at least X points before your reputation hits will count towards others. Currently X is set to 50. This may be too high? This is why there is confusion because someone will hit your reputation but because they have very few posts, it does not make a difference in your points.
  6. You must have at least X reputation points before your reputation hits will count towards others. Currently X is set to 10 which is the same # of points new users are awarded. So unless you get negative hits right from the start, this should not be causing a problem.
The system is working but is subject to the rules above. What are your thoughts on the defaults?

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

1. This is perfectly OK with me since Admins should be able to reward for exceptional work and discipline those that are being a nusense.
  2. This might be a little high for right now, I mean the longest (non-church employee) person we have had has only been here for roughly 120 days.
  3. I would say 250 since not even Tomw has 500 yet. :D (And there are a few people that have hit or are going to hit 250, maybe even 125 would be good)
  4. Once the system gets going this might be good but for right now how about 50 since no one has even that yet.
  5. Again for a group that only one person right now (Tomw) can affect reputation this might be too high. 20 might be better, then others can affect reputations instead of just tomw.
  6. What is the difference between this and 5?
- David

Return to “General Discussions”