Add to Reputation Icon

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dragev

Add to Reputation Icon

Post by dragev »

I finally took to time to figure out what the "Add to poster's Reputation" icon Image is. I guess it's a weigh-scale or balance (my initial take was that it is a crumple up piece of paper). My point is, I had to really think about it before I recognized what the image represented. Perhaps an administrator could get the icon replaced with either a clearer picture or a simpler icon, like the Thumbs Up icon Image or a Star icon Image, for example.

Now that I know what this icon is, I think I'll start using it! ;)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

dragev wrote:I finally took to time to figure out what the "Add to poster's Reputation" icon Image is. I guess it's a weigh-scale or balance (my initial take was that it is a crumple up piece of paper). My point is, I had to really think about it before I recognized what the image represented. Perhaps an administrator could get the icon replaced with either a clearer picture or a simpler icon, like the Thumbs Up icon Image or a Star icon Image, for example.

Now that I know what this icon is, I think I'll start using it! ;)
Yes, "Add to reputation" allows you to add (or subtract) points to a person's reputation. Depending upon your reputation level and the # of posts you have, your hit to someone's reputation may have more value than someone else's. We will look into the icon issue.

Tom
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Is there a way to check your own reputation level other than the one-color icon under everyone's name on a post?
garysturn

Reputation Button

Post by garysturn »

kgthunder wrote:Is there a way to check your own reputation level other than the one-color icon under everyone's name on a post?

Just click on the reputation button for yourself and it will tell you what your score is.
The one that looks like scales in the lower left corner of one of your own posts.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kgthunder wrote:Is there a way to check your own reputation level other than the one-color icon under everyone's name on a post?
When I click on "User CP" near the top left, the first thing I see is my reputation - who added and when.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

GarysTurn wrote:Just click on the reputation button for yourself and it will tell you what your score is.
The one that looks like scales in the lower left corner of one of your own posts.
And everyone defaults to "10" reputation points.

Tom
KathrynGZ

Purpose?

Post by KathrynGZ »

Okay, I'll voice a dissenting opinion. I'm not sure I see the value of having people rate each other's posts with reputation points. Posts and reactions to them are extremely subjective, so what would such a rating mean? Also, it seems to be a distraction from the more important purposes of this site.

Someone correct me if I've got this all wrong and am just not seeing what a great tool they are. Or ding my reputation points :)

Kathryn
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The reputations are a good way of allowing the community to help self monitor it self. At least that is the intent.

Tom
dragev

Post by dragev »

Kathryn wrote:I'm not sure I see the value of having people rate each other's posts with reputation points
I tend to agree with Kathryn. My original post was based on the fact that this distracting "crumpled up piece of paper" icon was present next to every post, and obviously, in my case at least, the icon is not very intuitive.

I don't know if I'll remember to add/subtract from others' reputations as I read 1 week from now, because that's not why I visit the site. On the other had, this reputation system has the potential to help us locate quality posts (how I'm not sure), but somehow I doubt people are using the system, which mutes this point.

BTW Kathryn, you get reputation points from me :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:And everyone defaults to "10" reputation points.
:confused: I've got 10 now and 3 listings. If I had 4 I'd assume it would be two thumbs up and two thumbs down canceling each other.

Return to “General Discussions”