I wanted to inform the forums that I've updated the MLS Membership to Directory tool (mlsmem2dir) that can import Membership.csv MLS export files and turn them into customized membership directories for general ward and ward leadership use.
It's a command-line tool that works on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.
I've included instructions for installation on Linux and Windows.
You can find out more at: http://ldsadmin.org
The new changes:
A new release of the MLS membership to directory tool has been completed. Version 2.5 now:
* Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X now supported.
* supports Python 2.6.x and 3.0.x now.
* Added query capability to show only matching names from directory.
* cleaned up option processing.
* No longer shows head of house aged under 18 if child option not selected.
From the USAGE file:
Usage: mlsmem2dir.py [OPTION] <mls-export.csv>
NOTICE: All LDS church data is for LDS church use only.
No personal, business, or political use is allowed.
<mls-export.csv> This is a membership export file from MLS.
--version show program's version number and exit
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-a, --address include address, city, state/province, and postal code
-b, --abbreviate abbreviate address to street 1, City(1 char)Postal(2
-c, --children show other members of household (besides HoH & spouse)
-d, --detail include age, sex, and household position (household
position: H=head of house, S=spouse, O=other)
-e, --email include first family email address
-f, --full use full names instead of preferred names
-l, --last show last names which differ from the Household last
-n, --normalize normalize addresses and phone numbers to standard
forms with proper capitalization and standard postal
abbreviations (Road = Rd, Apartment = Apt, etc.)
-p, --phone include phone number
-q QUERY, --query=QUERY
query directory for names matching QUERY string
-s, --strip strip all middle names and initials- first and last
only WARNING: This will strip off unhyphenated two-
part first names. "Sarah Anne" becomes "Sarah". "J T"
-t, --tab output tab delimited information for spreadsheets or
-x EXCLUDEFILE, --exclude=EXCLUDEFILE
Excluded list of membership record numbers, with one
number per line in the format "000-0000-0000
name/note". Any record matching a number is excluded.
Names/notes are ignored in processing.
From the README file:
The MLSMem2Dir or MLS Membership to Directory tool takes an MLS Membership export and converts it into various membership directories which can be put into spreadsheets or word processors to build compact or specialized directories.
It is a command-line, console-based tool, so you'll need a basic understanding of the command line or command shell to utilize it.
One quick example of what it can do is to process a Membership.csv file from MLS in the following manner:
Directory including all parents and children first and last preferred names, a normalized phone number, and a normalized, abbreviated address, also show any members of the family with different last names than the head-of-house in a tab-delimited format.
mlsmem2dir.py -abclnpst Membership.csv
Another example is to generate a brief list of only adults by first and last preferred name, and an abbreviated and normalized address and phone number in tab-delimited format. I use this for creating ward directories myself.
mlsmem2dir.py -abnpst Membership.csv
For leadership, I also generate a list showing all members of the family, including sex, age, and household position. This example shows only first and last preferred names and displays any members of the family with different last names.
mlsmem2dir.py -cdlst Membership.csv
On any of these commands, if you want the output to go to a file instead of the screen, just use a "greater-than symbol" following by a filename as shown in the example below:
mlsmem2dir.py Membership.csv > output-file.txt
You can also search a Membership.csv file like a database to find a phone number or address. An example is:
mlsmem2dir.py -abcdelnp -q LASTNAME Membership.csv
...where LASTNAME is a name of an individual in the ward. Only the information for matching households will be shown.
Please try it out and post feedback and bugs on the Sourceforge development site.
Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
- What's New
- Announcements & Policies
- In The News
- Links & Resources
- Church Technology for Members
- LDS.org Website
- Leader and Clerk Resources
- Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures
- Online Donations
- Beta Testing
- Beta Calendar
- Beta Directory
- Beta Lesson Schedules
- Beta Maps
- Beta Newsletter
- Beta Clerk Resources
- Other Websites
- Mobile Applications
- Gospel Library
- Android Gospel Library
- iPhone/iPad Gospel Library
- Gospel Library for Windows
- LDS Media Library
- LDS Tools
- Android LDS Tools
- iPhone/iPad LDS Tools
- Mormon Radio Channel
- LDS Account
- Family History
- FamilySearch Products
- FamilySearch Family Tree Application
- FamilySearch Indexing
- Family History Centers
- Genealogy Industry Issues
- Software Development
- Other Member Technologies
- Church Historical Timeline
- Emerging Technologies
- Accessibility to Church Technology Products
- Interactive Books & Magazines
- Gospel App & Game Contest
- Community Discussions
- General Discussions
- LDSTech Featured Article Discussions
- Technical Recruiting
- Development Help Wanted
- Family Safety with Technology
- Clerk Support
- Getting Started for New Clerks
- MLS Support, Help, and Feedback
- Reports and Forms
- Local Unit Finance
- Membership Help
- Help Center Website (Formerly RKATS)
- General Clerk Discussions
- Meetinghouse Technologies
- Meetinghouse Internet
- Clerk Computers
- Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices
- FAQs for Local Unit Copier Program
- Broadcasts and Conferences
- Internet Streams
- Personal Video Conferencing
- Rich Media in Lessons and Training
- Meetinghouse Audio
- Other Meetinghouse Technologies
- Stake Technology Specialist Training
- Community Development Projects
- Mobile Development
- Interactive Music Project
- Java Web Project Support (Stack)
- Audiovisual Media and Emerging Technologies
- Getting Started
- Digital Media
- General Media Discussions
- Help & Feedback
- Help with this forum
- Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)
- Ideas & Suggestions
- Adobe Flex
- Enterprise Change Management
- Personal Ancestral File (PAF)
- FamilySearch Wiki
- Australia Area Technical Support
- Lesson Schedules
- BlackBerry Gospel Library
- WebOS Gospel Library
- Windows Phone Gospel Library
- BlackBerry LDS Tools
- WebOS LDS Tools
- Windows 8 LDS Tools
- Windows Phone LDS Tools
- Feedback on tech.lds.org
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests