Locating church records for addresses during mission???

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
elderblackburn

Locating church records for addresses during mission???

Post by elderblackburn »

I need to find out what addresses I lived at during my mission but I did not write them down or anything, all the letters I got were sent to the main mission office then distributed out from there... Is this something the church would have on file? If so where would I go to find it or who would I contact?

Thanks.

PS not sure if it matters or not but I served in Peru and Bolivia from 2008 to 2010
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Locating church records for addresses during mission???

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't think the Church keeps missionary apartments/houses on file centrally. However, the mission itself would have a list of current areas with addresses for where the missionaries live in each area. That said, they may not want to give out the addresses of missionary apartments, for security reasons. Another option is to try to get in contact with other missionaries who served in your mission (via Facebook, for example, if you don't have direct contact information).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

The respective mission office(s) will not be able to assist with this request, especially with you being home for about 6 years. There are also several systematic limitations and policies that would prevent them from giving you that information.

I'm curious to know the background of your request? Perhaps there's another way to accomplish what you're desiring to do.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wertdl wrote:I'm curious to know the background of your request?
Just taking a guess, but it's pretty typical that when applying for any kind of background check to need to list all the places you've lived in the past 10 years. I'd think that stating that one is on a particular mission is sufficient for those actually conducting the check, but it may be problematic in filing out the forms.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
elderblackburn

Post by elderblackburn »

Yes this is for a background check, I just looked over my letters and things and put the mission office addresses for the missions I served in. I had names of the areas and zones I was in written down in my journal and listed those. hopefully thats good enough
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

elderblackburn wrote:Yes this is for a background check, I just looked over my letters and things and put the mission office addresses for the missions I served in. I had names of the areas and zones I was in written down in my journal and listed those. hopefully thats good enough
You may call the Missionary Department at 801-240-2222, and they can provide official documentation/verification of your missionary service as well.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

You should be able to list the main mission office address(es) for the time(s) of the mission service. That is what I did on my first background check after returning from my mission (it was for a military clearance). If a followup is made, the mission should be able to provide enough information to satisfy. In my mission, missionaries had to find their own places to live so that changed regularly and I don't think my mission kept historical tracking when the address was no longer used for missionary living arrangements. I had no problems with my security clearance application.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think addresses is more for determining associates, interview the neighbors, etc. But being on a mission at the time tends to overshadow that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

I know that background checks for several high security US government jobs require exact addresses and listing only the mission office address doesn't cut it (they view it as a business, not a residence). I had a mission buddy contact several of us for these exact addresses. It's an absolute pain for sure.
hernandez.maroon@gmail.com

Post by hernandez.maroon@gmail.com »

I just got a new job and the employer is requiring verification of missionary work.
I just called the church help desk, explained my situation (got new job, need contact name, email, and phone number for background check), and was transferred and spoke with a kind sister who does verifications.
The number and email she provided was [phone number removed] and [email address removed] - BUT I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND calling the help desk first or Missionary Department at [phone number removed] to not to overwhelm the kind sister.
Church help desk phone number: [phone number removed]
In the background check submission form I used the mission office's address as the only address during the mission. That seems to have worked.

[Moderator edit: Removed phone numbers and email address. Some of those departments/desks may not want the phone numbers published to the world.]

Return to “General Discussions”