Mobile Digital Scriptures

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kyle-p40

someone help me

Post by kyle-p40 »

I want to put the book of mormon on my g1 cellphone but there is not a applacaton for it on the g1 can some one create an applacation for it or am I out of luck please send me a reply at romanceman19811@gmail.com
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

kyle wrote:I want to put the book of mormon on my g1 cellphone but there is not a applacaton for it on the g1 can some one create an applacation for it or am I out of luck please send me a reply at romanceman19811@gmail.com

eReader is planning a reader for the G1. It is rumored to be comming out this spring. There is a version of the scriptures for the eReader available at LDS.org

There is currently a community development project to develop an official scripture application for the iPhone and that could be expanded to other formats if this project is successful. See the iPhone community development project info on the LDSTech Wiki.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

kyle wrote:I want to put the book of mormon on my g1 cellphone but there is not a applacaton for it on the g1 can some one create an applacation for it or am I out of luck please send me a reply at romanceman19811@gmail.com

Try Reveal Reader, which can be downloaded from the Android Market. (It's found under Reference.) I use a beta version without much problem.

Because Reveal is designed to use the popular YanCEyware file format, there are many LDS titles available in addition to the standard works.

.Note: This is the same app that Microwaved reported on upthread some time ago. Since then, "REVEL" has been renamed as "Reveal" and released as a beta.
Kalani.Keala-p40

Universal Solution

Post by Kalani.Keala-p40 »

Maybe this already exists. Has anyone considered taking the scripture data from LDSOSS and distributing in HTML format? CSS could be created for prominent devices and bookmarking would be handled by the browser.

Admittedly, not as "fancy" as a lot of other solutions, but completely platform independent. People who want something more feature rich could go with another solution - but for most of us, this would be more than sufficient.

I try to use lds.org, but reception in our building on my blackberry is less than ideal and I also wouldn't have to chew up data minutes.

Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Kalani.Keala wrote:Thoughts?
While it may work, I think it would consume quite a bit of memory and may be too slow. Specialized applications are quick and use little memory.

For example, I've had the Standard Works including Jesus the Christ on my little Palm IIIxe which only had 8MB of memory - with room left over. But when I went to download a PDF copy of the scriptures, I found it was over 50MB and extremely slow to open.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Kalani.Keala-p40

I don't think you understand. It would be static HTML content in the devices persistent storage, just like an apps db files (on a micro-SD card for those that support it). It is made up of static HTML text files read by the browser of so it would BLOW AWAY the performance of any application (No database overhead, just file read overhead). The size would be similar to the LDSOSS raw text files, replacing indexing and delimiting info for HTML tags.

And it would run ON ANY browser enable device with a persistent memory to hold the HTML files. I know it would work, I'm just wondering if someone has done it already.

I've been a software developer for 15 years so I know of what I speak.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I couldn't find the raw text files, so I don't know how big they are. The speed is going to depend on how the files are broken up and the rendering speed of the browser.

Another performance issue is searching. I suspect most of the PDA formats convert the words into tokens. When searching, you convert the search term(s) to tokens and search for a match rather then having to search for text strings.

It may well boil down to a textbook case of CPU cycles vs memory efficiency and finding the sweet spot for speed. But I'm skeptical that HTML would be as fast as good dedicated scripture app. But it may be a functional alternative for the PDAs with smaller market share.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

I may be mistaken, but I thought the YanCEyWare e-book format and apps that read it are based on an HTML-like browser method, with the documents compressed and broken into smaller pieces. There is no search capability, but the YanCEyWare reader satisfies many users. It is not the same thing as a generic, open HTML browser, of course.
Kalani.Keala-p40

HTML Scriptures

Done. You can download from here. You'll have to unzip and transfer the entire "Scriptures" directory to your device - about 10MBs. Then browse to Scriptures/index.html and you're off. It's pretty zippy on my blackberry curve.

This is just a first "working" run. I haven't embedded CSS tags into the pages to allow sprucing up the UI. But that's next and easy. As is, I stayed up an hour past my bedtime, but I'm pleased with the results.

URL entry is a little tricky in the blackberry browser - email me if you need any help, but google took care of me. But do it once, bookmark, and you're done!

Return to “General Discussions”