MLS priesthood status & LUWS removing members

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:There were two reasons. One was data storage availability (seems silly nowadays, but was a concern back then).
I don't know as that was the driving concern. I had heard it was an outcome from an effort to simplify record keeping. Keep in mind at that time we were recording who did the baptism, blessing of a child, as well as all Priesthood ordinations from the beginning for each record. And we were doing this for the proxy work as well. That's why the recommends with the mag stripes were in use - to automate the tracking of who the proxy was.

I was a membership clerk at the time, and the story I was told is that the church had spent some bucks on consultants who specialized on "reduce and simplify", to take out the bureaucratic bloat that invariably invades any organization. Apparently as part of the process it was decided that all those particular details were unnecessary.

Membership records had been computerized for some time at SLC. I don't know if they were pushing up against some expensive upgrade or not. I'm sure they enjoyed the space savings when the new membership record format went into effect.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
regoarrarr

Post by regoarrarr »

We received note from our stake clerk a few months ago asking our help in trying to fix this problem. What they told me was that it was from 1993-2001 that this information was not recorded.

We had a list in our ward of 22 people whose ordination info was not captured. One was myself so that one was easy :-). We're down to about 5 now. It is interesting to me the number of people that have no idea who ordained them.

Return to “General Discussions”