Payment of my tithing online

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Amanda Smith-p40

Post by Amanda Smith-p40 »

I should explain.

BPay is not a financial system, it is simply a clearing house. Paper based cheques aren't used very much in Australia these days.

This is how it works: http://www.bpay.com.au/billers/bpay_bil ... works.aspx

The CRN for my tithing is a number like this: 1234567 (not a real CRN, just a made up one).

What I am wondering is whether member numbers are 7 digits long?

By the way, BPay doesn't create the CRN's, the organisation receiving the funds do as to integrate it with their own accounting records.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Amanda Smith wrote:The CRN for my tithing is a number like this: 1234567 (not a real CRN, just a made up one).

What I am wondering is whether member numbers are 7 digits long?
Membership numbers are 11 digits longs; however, almost every membership number I have seen has the first two digits as 0 (but that would only get you down to 9 digits, not 7).

My advice to talk to local leadership or maybe some central Austrailian Church office still stands, as I don't know how many people here in the US would understand the system you guys down under have set up.
caillines

Post by caillines »

The CRN is completely separate to the record number of the member. As to whether it expires after extended periods of inactivity I cannot say, thought it does appear to last at least 11 months (I know of several people that do the bpay payment at the end of each financial year, using BPAY). Contacting your local bishop would be the ideal way to find out for certain, but if I remember I'll ask on Sunday and report back to you all.
caillines

Post by caillines »

Ok so the reply is a bit late (oops), and it's probably too late now, however....
As far as I can tell the CRNs don't expire with time. (I've been using mine for quite a while now.)
You can request your specific CRN through your ward clerk.
The CRN is unique, and the amounts you donate show up on your annual contribution sheet (that you can get for tax reasons etc), so the CRN is linked to a specific member (but is not their member number) but clerks need to send a support message using MLS to request the info for the member.
BPay can take a few days to process, so it's similar to paying by cheque however you don't need to fill out envelopes etc.
You can also get receipt numbers to show that it's been paid (though this is at a bank/bpay level).
rjjgoodwin

Re: Payment of my tithing online

Post by rjjgoodwin »

The CRN and membership number are 2 completely different numbers that do not relate to each other in any way. My CRN is 7 digits and has no resemblense to my membership number
rjjgoodwin

Re:

Post by rjjgoodwin »

mkmurray wrote:
RussellHltn wrote:I think it's a number that BPay uses to inform the recipient whose account is to be credited. In the case of the US system, that is the membership number.
Ok, I can see how that could be...

Amanda, without revealing the CRN number, is it in the following format?

###-####-####, where each # symbol is a number (and occasionally a letter on the last digit).
Its actually in the format of #######. It does not reference the membership number.

Return to “General Discussions”