Inventory, comparative concordance, printing, MS Office?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lomondview

Inventory, comparative concordance, printing, MS Office?

Post by lomondview »

Couple questions:

1. So...my branch shares the chapel with a huge ward but I need to clean out all of the old books, manuals, etc. from prior years. Should these go in the library? Free give away?

2. Being a nerd/techie, I am planning on building a concordance app that would let users find scriptures on the topic from LDS, Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist scriptures but before I build it I wanted to check with my fellow clerks and techies and see if there's already something like that in existence?

3. I was asked to print a General Conference address but was unable to remove the many pictures from the printed version. I copied and pasted in into Libre Office Writer (which the prior clerks in my branch use since MS Office doesn't respect privacy (tithing, membership records, etc.). Is this what all of you use? Or do you just use MS Office?

Thanks! ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Inventory, comparative concordance, printing, MS Office?

Post by russellhltn »

For cost reasons, the church recommends units use LibreOffice or OpenOffice. More details
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

These three questions would really be better as separate topics...

For 1), there are some suggestions on these pages that might be helpful:
https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-sch ... s?lang=eng
https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-sch ... s?lang=eng

Handbooks and other policy materials that are out of date should be thrown away. Old manuals, videocassettes, and other materials that are no longer used but are still useful could be offered to members, donated to a second-hand store, or thrown away.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

For #3, Libre is the standard Office Suite recommended by the church. Some units have purchased MS Office, but that's not recommended.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:For #3, Libre is the standard Office Suite recommended by the church.
I believe the community prefers Libre over Open, but I've not seen the church express a preference between the two free alternatives.

I agree as far a MS Office.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “General Discussions”