How do I get my tithing payment records from 22 years ago?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
rcronk

How do I get my tithing payment records from 22 years ago?

Post by rcronk »

How do I get my tithing payment records from 22 years ago? I asked my ward clerk and he said he couldn't get it and that I'd have to contact church headquarters or something similar. I don't know how to find a phone number, an email address, or a physical address for the group within "church headquarters" that would deal with my tithing payment records. Does anyone here know how I would make such a request?

Just to give background for why I need records from 22 years ago, back then, I had been inactive for a few years and, through some miraculous events, decided to come back to church and at one point decided to start paying tithing again. I was a poor starving college student and didn't have enough money to pay rent and utilities, eat, and pay tithing, but decided to exercise some faith and pay tithing anyway. The next day, I received a check in the mail from some old roomates who hadn't paid final month's utilities from a year prior or so and it ended up being the same amount I had paid for tithing. I considered that a miracle, but as I have told others about the experience, they asked me if I had any receipts or proof. I don't need the proof since I lived it, but it would be cool to have the proof by getting my tithing records from back then and see if I can get some bank records from back then so I would have something to show people when they ask. It would also be nice to check to see if my memory is accurate on how close the numbers were.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: How do I get my tithing payment records from 22 years ag

Post by sbradshaw »

I found this phone number on Google: (801) 240-1000. I believe it's a generic Church Headquarters number with an operator who can direct your call to the appropriate office.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can try, but I seriously doubt if they have it. Typical retention at the unit level is 3-5 years. I can't imagine that it's that long at CHQ. Besides, in 1993, I don't know as any of the donations were tied to membership records as they are now. I believe that we're talking MIS/FIS era. FIS didn't really talk to MIS at all.

I think you'd have better luck with your bank at the time - but even then - 22 years is a long time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:You can try, but I seriously doubt if they have it. Typical retention at the unit level is 3-5 years. I can't imagine that it's that long at CHQ. . . .

I think you'd have better luck with your bank at the time - but even then - 22 years is a long time.
Most banks keep records for 7 years. I think the Church keeps records longer than 3-5 years, but I doubt they go back 22. I have looked online for a form that the Finance Department sends out for members to use to request prior year donation information, but I cannot find it. I will snag it at home this evening. Or you could email donations@ldschurch.org and ask them if they would be able to help you with a request for 22 years ago. I imagine it would be the highlight of their day to receive such a request.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It would also be great if you reported back to us whether the Church did have that data going back 22 years :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:I have looked online for a form that the Finance Department sends out for members to use to request prior year donation information, but I cannot find it. I will snag it at home this evening. Or you could email donations@ldschurch.org and ask them if they would be able to help you with a request for 22 years ago. I imagine it would be the highlight of their day to receive such a request.
The form is called Contribution Information Request (Item 30338, 3/98). It is 17 years old. It has room to request 19 years of information. You specify the year, the complete name of the ward or branch, and the complete name of the stake or district.

They will return the tithing contributed and the total donations for the year as a yearly total.

So I do not believe it will answer your question. You will get a yearly total, but not a list of the individual donations that you would need to verify your story. It appears to me that you will just have to rely on journal entries and your impeccable record of honesty.

Total tithing and total donations are the two numbers that are recorded for each member on the annual tithing report, so I am guessing they would get the yearly total information from that report, and would not have detailed weekly or monthly donation information. And I suspect that, while detailed financial information is not kept for too many years, the annual tithing reports are kept for a long, long time.
rcronk

Post by rcronk »

Wow, thanks everyone for all of this information. I will attempt a request and see what comes back and then I'll report my findings here. Thanks again everyone!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Just remember, dear friend, that the Lord does not operate on a ledger balance sheet. If you obtain the records and discover that the amount was not the same, what then? We are provided what we need (or more than we need), when we need it, based on His timetable or accounting.

Those who request proof of your story are no different than those who request proof that you received a Testimony - you cannot prove to anyone what you have felt. Sometimes, it is better to leave it alone, go your way and ponder the miracle of this great blessing in your heart.

Return to “General Discussions”