Where can I get access to the scriptures source text for app

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
christensen309

Where can I get access to the scriptures source text for app

Post by christensen309 »

I want to build a scripture reading app. Where can I get access to the source text for the scriptures? What are the rules around how the content is used / distributed? Any help would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Where can I get access to the scriptures source text for

Post by russellhltn »

The best place to start with this would be to contact the Intellectual Property Office at:

Phone: 801-240-3959 or 1-800-453-3860, ext. 2-3959
Fax: 801-240-1187
E-Mail: cor-intellectualproperty@ldschurch.org.

or by writing to:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Intellectual Property Office
50 E. North Temple
18th Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3012
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
christensen309

Post by christensen309 »

I wrote the Intellectual Property Office and they said to submit a demo version of my app for review, but I haven't even started because I don't know where to go to get the source text.

i.e. where are other scripture apps (not associated with the church) getting the scripture text from?

I'm wondering if the church provides access to the standard works source text. Is there a repository for this information? Is it in a certain file type? Or is it open source somewhere?

Thank you again for any help / direction.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Some versions are open source. Sorry, I'm not sure where to look for that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
christensen309

Post by christensen309 »

I just found this: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/formats?lang=eng

I guess I'll just start here and download these files and build them into the application and then submit it for approval. It seems like there would be some other "developers" source for this content but maybe this is it.

Return to “General Discussions”