Should priesthood holders stand as women enter a meeting?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
tlarson

Should priesthood holders stand as women enter a meeting?

Post by tlarson »

Should priesthood holders stand as women enter a priesthood meeting?

I have seen it done both ways and was wondering if any church leader had ever commented on that topic.

Anyone know of any documentation of a leader? Past or present? Preferably present?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Should priesthood holders stand as women enter a meeting

Post by russellhltn »

tlarson wrote:Should priesthood holders stand as women enter a priesthood meeting?
I've never seen it. It may be more of a local custom than a church one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It is a social courtesy, and sign of respect, that is custom is some parts of the world. When I was in the YM presidency I made sure the young men showed respect for the sisters. Standing when a sister entered the room was one of those courtesies. You will not find this in the handbooks since there is such diverse cultural differences through the Church and the Church does not dictate cultural etiquette.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I would follow the lead of the presiding officer.

I believe it is related to custom and courtesy. And while not in the handbook, those of you who have a little piece of paper in your wallets that expires every two years may recall an example of this courtesy when a woman enters a small and intimate setting and men stand out of love and respect.

I wouldn't do it in the chapel every time a woman entered (except see first sentence of this post), but I saw it occur and did it myself many times as a bishopric or priesthood executive committee meeting expanded into a welfare or ward council meeting.

Then again, I still hold doors and would take off my hat, too, if I wore one.

Return to “General Discussions”