Online Finance Class @ Provident Living.org

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
spitfire-p40

Online Finance Class @ Provident Living.org

Post by spitfire-p40 »

I have been attempted to watch the "new" finance course @ providentliving.org. Each time I attempt to play/watch one of the vingettes, I'm prompted to "upgrade" my Flash player. Once you click to "update", it takes you to Adobe Flash Player. I had to "tweak" some of my security settings but it appears I was able to download it. However, after repeatedly "uninstalling" the Flash Player & "re-installing" along with CPU restarts inbetween, it still does not work! I continue to get "you need to upgrade your flash player".

We want our ward members to watch this series in preparation for a joint RS/Priesthood meeting on finances & debt management. But I can't even get the "lessons" to play!

Help!!

Sherry
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Sherry,

Trying to diagnose a computer when you're not in front of it is a talent that I haven't mastered yet. However, can you provide a few details regarding your system?

What OS (Operating System) do you have?
Can you get it to play on a different computer?
What version of Adobe Flash Player do you have?
What browser are you using?

I tried it myself just before responding to your post and it played just fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The lesson plays fine for me, so I don't think it's a site issue - at least not with IE7. Are you using IE or Firefox? Perhaps there's a compatibility issue with other browsers.

I know from past experience that updating Flash Player is not a easy as it should be. (Flash seems to go though frequent updates due to security issues. I run the security scan at Secunia so I'm frequently prompted to update flash. Otherwise I'd be blissfully ignorant.)

First step - go to this link and uninstall the player. Don't use add/remove - it won't get everything. When you run the utility, read the detail. If it shows "delete on reboot", reboot and run it again until flash is completely uninstalled.

Then go back to Adobe and click on "get flash player".

There are two parts to Flash Player, the player itself and the Active-X control. Both should install as one step. Since you mentioned having to tweak your security settings, perhaps you have to do a similar tweak to allow flash to run on the provident living site.

Good luck!
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
spitfire-p40

Post by spitfire-p40 »

1st, thanx for taking the time to answer my questions/problem:
1.I'm running XP
2. I have gone to the Adobe site & have done the following:

Have uninstalled/re-rebooted-re-installed (have done this numerous times)
Have downloaded the registry repair key from Microsoft SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
Have tweaked the security settings on my computer to "permit" flash/activeX
Have un-installed & downloaded Flash file as exe file, shut everything down that was running, opened the exe file & I STILL get the same response can't download with error code.

I've also gone & used 3 different 3rd party Wdw. registery repair programs & repeated ALL of the above at least 3 times.

The videos will open on my laptop....but not my desktop.

The reason I was trying to resolve my desktop issue is 1. for the immediate concern of watching these, i.e. if I'm having this problem, then someone else in the ward might also & 2. for the long term, if the Church is going to use this format in the future, then I want to be able to have access to the videos, etc in the future.

Don't know what else to tell you. I've done all the troubleshooting Adobe recommends, no resolve. HOWEVER, when I do an "un-install", it shows that it has been installed. When I attempt to watch the lessons, I get the message to upgrade/update my Flash Player....so I'm stuck...

Thanx again...don't know what else I can tell you....???? Sorry!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A couple of tips: When installing flash, make sure you wait until you see the animated "installed successfully" screen. (Just before it, the "f" will flip). The static "f" with the green/white progress bar isn't enough.

If that's working, then flash is installed. I can only guess that security must be preventing the site from seeing flash.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”