Address to send a letter to the Prophet

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mbandman

Address to send a letter to the Prophet

Post by mbandman »

I have been trying to find the correct address but have found several and do not know which is right. Does anyone know what address to mail a letter to if you want it to reach the first presidency?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Address to send a letter to the Prophet

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to read Handbook 2: 21.1.24. Particularly the last paragraph.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If you're looking for an address for a purpose that the Handbook referenced above doesn't dissuade you, I'd try something like this one.

Office of the First Presidency
47 East South Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
wiscombe.peter

Post by wiscombe.peter »

:p
Although the handbook does state that we are not to send letters, they are a widely used source of general conference talk material.
A google search for: site:lds.org inurl:general-conference "received a letter" yields about 4,000 results.
:p
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wiscombe.peter wrote:Although the handbook does state that we are not to send letters, they are a widely used source of general conference talk material.
That thought has crossed my mind as well. But I have decided that the handbook is unambiguous, whereas any conclusions I would draw based on general conference references to letters would be wildly speculative. We often don't know when the letters were sent, or if they were sent with special permission, or if the sender has a personal relationship with the general authority, or if they were asked by someone in authority to send the letter. Such speculation is pointless; "as for me and my house, we will..." follow the handbook.
DougGale

Post by DougGale »

Some actions require a "letter the the First Presidency". Church membership for you or a family member, correction in temple ordinance as recorded in Family History records are just a couple where it is necessary to communicate directly with the First Presidency. Your stake president and your local temple presidency can help you with these.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Doug, those always accompany and 'Application to the First Presidency' which is a church process defined in the Handbook and the Application instructions.

I'm very conflicted on this one, aebrown's message asside, the General Authorities send a message of encouragement when they include the so very often in their Conference Talks. The real point is that unless the General Authority takes interest, the letter is typically forwarded to the Stake President to handle.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
bkhamlin

Post by bkhamlin »

From experience. Any letter sent will be sent down to the are authority and or the stake president. Probably the least capable people to help with the problem. Don't be surprised if no one cares. Been there and done that.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I know that the First Presidency are wonderful men and love interacting with church members, but the fact is that their calling requires a lot of time and effort and they're not able to interact with everyone. They visit with members in person around the world as they travel. And, as Jesus Christ has delegated keys and responsibilities to them, they are commanded to delegate keys and responsibilities to others (D&C 107:99; Exodus 18:21–22). Keys are delegated to the stake presidency and bishops that allow them to receive guidance for their stake or ward.

This Church is guided by revelation, and if there is an important concern relevant to the entire Church that needs to be addressed, the First Presidency will receive guidance in that regard.
johnshaw wrote:I'm very conflicted on this one, aebrown's message asside, the General Authorities send a message of encouragement when they include the so very often in their Conference Talks.
While not always the case, often the letters that are referenced in conference are from friends or acquaintances.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
colvinator

Post by colvinator »

bkhamlin wrote:From experience. Any letter sent will be sent down to the are authority and or the stake president. Probably the least capable people to help with the problem. Don't be surprised if no one cares. Been there and done that.
Personally, I'd say your stake president/bishop are the most capable people to deal with your problem. And I'd be surprised if they don't care tremendously. Been there and done that. They care and are capable.

Return to “General Discussions”