WardPlan (New software) and data privacy

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dpenrod75

Re: WardPlan (New software) and data privacy

Post by dpenrod75 »

russellhltn wrote:
marianomarini wrote:
dpenrod75 wrote:The creators of this software obviously don't read dilbert.
Who is he, pray?
A popular cartoon strip about a tech worker and the clueless management he works under. I read Dilbert, but I'm not sure as I understand the reference.
Sorry, what I meant was that Dilbert's not a fan of project management. The creators of this "WardPlan" obviously are.

One of many examples why:
http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-04-26
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I see. I love Dilbert now. It seem an Italian man. Very funny.
fdisk

Post by fdisk »

russellhltn wrote:If it requires uploading any kind of MLS or membership information, there's a policy problem regardless of how good the security is.
I'd like to know more about these policies. I looked for them and this thread came up.

Specifically, I'm from a YSA ward. Many of the membership records on LDS Tools are wrong. So I maintain my own database (!) with everyone's information. I use this database to plan home teaching routes and send announcements via mass text message.

I'd like to share this database with other leaders in my ward. I'd like to do this by hosting it on a secure server. I can't find any church policies related to data sharing (FIPS 199 classifications, NIST 800-53 policies). The closest thing I found (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Church_Applic ... quirements) gave no information on any of this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fdisk wrote:
russellhltn wrote:If it requires uploading any kind of MLS or membership information, there's a policy problem regardless of how good the security is.
I'd like to know more about these policies. I looked for them and this thread came up.

Specifically, I'm from a YSA ward. Many of the membership records on LDS Tools are wrong. So I maintain my own database (!) with everyone's information. I use this database to plan home teaching routes and send announcements via mass text message.
I'll point you to Meetinghouse Technology Policy 4.9.3-4

However, since exports have been removed from MLS, and LCR doesn't export, that may largely be a moot point. Having to manually enter new people and sync the move-ins/move-outs is likely to kill most of those efforts.

Note that with LCR 3.0, HT routes are already on-line for authorized ward leaders. It also allows the bishopric to send messages via email (as long as everyone has their privacy set to "stake" - a long-standing bug).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

fdisk wrote:Many of the membership records on LDS Tools are wrong.
If the membership records are wrong and you have the correct information, why don't you just update the records (in MLS or LCR) if you are a clerk or provide them to your ward clerk so he can update them? Using a separate database for HT/VT assignments/results is one thing but membership data on the official church records should be kept as accurately as possible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fdisk wrote:Many of the membership records on LDS Tools are wrong.
I missed this the first time around. The information on LDS Tools is pulled from the official records of the church - subject to the privacy settings and user's calling. If someone appears in LDS Tools that shouldn't, then their records are in the ward and the ward should be working on moving them out.

If someone doesn't appear in LDS Tools that should, then either their privacy settings are not set to "stake", or their membership records are not in the ward.

Things such as move in/move out and contact information can be updated by the clerk either in MLS or on-line in LCR. At bare minimum the move in/move outs have to be done anyway or you're really not part of the church and setting yourself up for bigger problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fdisk

Post by fdisk »

Thanks, this helps a lot. Looks like we have a lot of work to do!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm in a Young Single Adult ward as well (a student Young Single Adult ward with many move-ins and -outs) and it's tempting to use an external database, or spreadsheet (more commonly), and ignore the online tools. With the release of Leader and Clerk Resources 3.0, my stake recommitted to that meetinghouse technology policy about not storing membership information in the cloud or in third-party software. It's still a sacrifice, but much less of a sacrifice than before because the Church-provided tools are getting so much better. And I believe we will be blessed for following the policy, even if we think we have a better way.

One of the downsides of only updating contact information in an external spreadsheet and not diligently updating the membership records, is that only the leadership tends to benefit from external spreadsheets and databases; whereas with the directory and other tools the Church has in place, everyone whose records are in the ward can automatically benefit. By using external spreadsheets and databases we often exclude the common member.

And then there's the scriptural mandate to keep the Lord's records in order, not just our own.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jirp

Post by jirp »

First off you can still export from MLS. I just did it last night so I know it was working as of last night.

Second. As for records being out of date if you have the information get with your ward clerk and get some of it fixed. Some can't be fixed because it violates policy. For example listing cell phone contacts in the information without permission. Others like legal name changes and marriages and divorces are a real headache for clerks. If they follow the policy to the letter the ward records will be in terrible shape. If every death, marriage, divorce and any other name change requires the bishop to see the legal document that made it happen then the 3/4 of the ward that is inactive will have their records complete behind the times. I wish MLS or LCR had a way to label information as secondary sources and not necessarily legal document level so that we could do a better. As ward clerk I try prayerfully to walk the line between ward records that are garbage and following policy. For example say you have 30 people in the ward who are inactive and want no contact from the church but who are married but the records lists them as single. You have spouse's names because someone attending WC knows them. What do you do with these records?(rhetorical question)
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

MLS 3.8.1 is due to be released this week. This version removes the export function, according to the release notes in the Help Centre.

Return to “General Discussions”