Civil Marriage and then a ceremony

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wifeofahero

Civil Marriage and then a ceremony

Postby wifeofahero » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 am

I am engaged to a man who is not a member of the church and my wonderful bishop is going to perform the civil ceremony in April. But I was wondering what the churches policy is on getting married at city hall (essentially eloping) and then still having a ceremony for friends and family in April. Is this frowned on by the church? Is there any policy against it?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Civil Marriage and then a ceremony

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 am

I can't think of any such restriction - just limits on performing a temple marriage after a civil one. There are limitation if done in the chapel (no photos, limitations on music).
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

wifeofahero wrote:I was wondering what the churches policy is on getting married at city hall (essentially eloping) and then still having a ceremony for friends and family in April.

Talk to your bishop. He is the best person to know the ins and outs of this type of situation. He will be able to answer all of your questions, and will probably have an additional helpful suggestion or two if this is what you really wish to do.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Most importantly, he (and the stake president) is the one who interprets the policy. So it's whatever he is comfortable with.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:33 pm

russellhltn wrote:Most importantly, he (and the stake president) is the one who interprets the policy. So it's whatever he is comfortable with.

I am hoping in this case that the bishop is familiar with this particular section of the Handbook, which is very specific, and provides the member with a much better solution than the one proposed.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:51 am

The concept of "eloping" is getting married secretly and implies not letting parents or others know, who should know. The main concern there is honesty. However, you say "essentially" eloping so that may not be your intent.

Outside of policies relating to temple sealing, there are no policies I know of about having multiple wedding ceremonies.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

allenjpl

Postby allenjpl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

wifeofahero wrote:I am engaged to a man who is not a member of the church and my wonderful bishop is going to perform the civil ceremony in April. But I was wondering what the churches policy is on getting married at city hall (essentially eloping) and then still having a ceremony for friends and family in April. Is this frowned on by the church? Is there any policy against it?

To be clear, if you are married at city hall, that is the civil ceremony. Whatever the bishop does after that, he isn't officiating at a marriage. So if you haven't told the bishop you plan to do this, you need to. Otherwise, he'll be tipped off when you can't produce an marriage license with a place for his signature.

Now, one option that is mentioned in the handbook (for after a temple marriage, but it may work for after a civil marriage as well) is a ring ceremony. But the ring ceremony can't replicate elements of the marriage ceremony and there is no exchange of vows. If you have his family arriving for a wedding, it may confuse them a considerable amount when the two of you don't actually appear to marry each other.

Return to “General Discussions”