Computer purchase policy

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
cwoolf

Computer purchase policy

Post by cwoolf »

What is the policy and procedures around purchasing computers other than the one that will be used in the clerk's office? We have a small group of computers that members use in a building primarily for family history and I am trying to figure out if purchasing these would follow the same guidelines as the computers in a clerk's office and go through the FM group. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Cory
eblood66

Re: Computer purchase policy

Post by eblood66 »

cwoolf wrote:What is the policy and procedures around purchasing computers other than the one that will be used in the clerk's office? We have a small group of computers that members use in a building primarily for family history and I am trying to figure out if purchasing these would follow the same guidelines as the computers in a clerk's office and go through the FM group. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Cory
If this is an official Family History Center then the family history department will handle computer purchase and replacement according to their guidelines. If it's an official center then it should have it's own unit number, have an official director and so forth.

But it doesn't sound like this is an official center. In that case the responsibility falls entirely on the unit supporting it. The FM group is not involved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cwoolf wrote:What is the policy and procedures around purchasing computers other than the one that will be used in the clerk's office?
The Meetinghouse Technology Policy 4.2.3 and Handbook 1: 14.7.2 indicates that the budget cannot be used to buy computers (with the exception of webcasting equipment). I don't see anything that limits that to just clerk computers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cwoolf

Post by cwoolf »

Thanks. I am glad that I asked. I bet that there is a good deal of confusion on this topic out there. Not because it is not clear, just because people probably don't know.

Return to “General Discussions”